The ever Onward march of Studio Pottery. Guardian article.

+2
NaomiM
philpot
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The ever Onward march of Studio Pottery. Guardian article. - Page 2 Empty Re: The ever Onward march of Studio Pottery. Guardian article.

Post by Potty May 1st 2018, 2:10 am

Personally I always find it funny when these "the young ones are not interested in collecting these days" threads come up. I imagine when many of you were "the young generation" that many of you and most of your peers were not collecting and the "then older generation" were moaning about "the young ones are not interested in collecting these days". Collecting antiques/ceramics etc is generally a hobby people take up at an older age, so it's likely to always seem like "the young ones are not interested", until that generation ages.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

The ever Onward march of Studio Pottery. Guardian article. - Page 2 Empty Re: The ever Onward march of Studio Pottery. Guardian article.

Post by dantheman May 1st 2018, 8:51 am

when I was younger I would look at plates hung on my parents walls and think 'They're for eating off you saddos'.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 1st 2018, 9:23 am

All those sorta 'collectable' fingies that had reams of advertising in the Sunday supplements and all popular magazines. They would encourage subscription collection of plates, ceramics, all sorts of bits and pieces. The 'Leonardo Collection' comes to mind. There were even magazines and books that gave continually updated 'valuations'
They were all completely naff of course. Totally worthless noeadays.
But on t'ther hand. The studio ceramics of Coper, Rie, and the whole higher echelon of studio potters are in a completely different universe now. With Coper fetching records upwards of £300,000 (what price £ 500,000 Coper before too long), Rie £100,000 plus, and a lot of their followers fetching upwards of £10,000....
This is now the Fine Art Market. Which tends to transcend generations and countries, as it is regarded in many different ways. As an investment vehicle (look at Picasso prices over 50 years!), as a prestige symbol, as pure and simple decoration for the ultra rich, as a tax dodge for Americans.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 2nd 2018, 5:32 pm

Certainly over the last couple of years I have had a rise in the number of young people buying from me. By that I don't mean teenagers but late twenties into their thirties which is young to me.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 2nd 2018, 6:03 pm

And there is the Pink Pound. A pair of young working males would have a high disposable income.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum