A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale?

3 posters

Go down

A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale? Empty A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale?

Post by Guest February 2nd 2018, 5:28 pm

A stunning pot, I had to have it once I saw it. The decoration is really dense around the side, with just a single hare to the top. This may have been made as a stand for another piece, I do not know. Having said that, it would be a crime to cover the hare up with something else, so maybe it was made to stand alone. I really admire the time, skill & effort that went into this piece. There is a slightly smudged hand painted mark to the underside, it looks like PP to my eyes. I have checked the Yates & Fournier, but cannot see anything like it. Any ideas as to the artist are welcomed, thank you.

A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale? Dsc05717
A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale? Dsc05719
A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale? Dsc05718
A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale? Dsc05716
A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale? Dsc05811
A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale? Dsc05810
A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale? Dsc05812
A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale? Dsc05813

Back to top Go down

A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale? Empty Re: A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale?

Post by philpot February 2nd 2018, 7:19 pm

That decoration has a strong look of early Maureen Minchin, when she was in Suffolk at Downs Farm. Homersfield 1988-2000. She also used that iron rich earthenware as well when she was there. She did not use a mark at Downs Farm, but her decoration was not as supremely polished as her Scottish work.
Other vaguer possibilities? Jennie Hale? She was actually at Dartington at the same time as Maureen Minchin. Nicholas Mosse? But then he has mostly been salt glaze.
Where did you actually get it?
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale? Empty Re: A beautiful pot, maker unknown - Minchin or Hale?

Post by NaomiM February 2nd 2018, 10:14 pm

Maureen Minchin and Jennie Hale were my first thoughts too, but I don’t know about the PP mark

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 2nd 2018, 10:58 pm

I’m going to put my money on Jennie Hale

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman February 3rd 2018, 9:51 am

I have been trying to remember her name since I read this id request!! Yes Jennie Hale

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 3rd 2018, 11:53 am

Thank you folks, really got something to go on now.
I did a brief search for Maureen Minchin and can see why she was suggested, very similar. I look forward to doing a more thorough search when I get chance. Though there is no rush, this piece is staying firmly put on the kitchen worktop, every time I go in there I look at it and smile. The only time it will get moved (to a very safe place) is when family visit.
It was part of a huge collection (from a deceased estate) that went into sale. The collector had amassed some of the nicest studio pieces I have ever seen, along with collections in a whole variety of other areas, they certainly had great taste.
Many thanks again for your input everyone, I really look forward to researching this further.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 3rd 2018, 11:56 am

And I will update this thread if and when I get to the bottom of who created it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum