Great ash glazed vase, but whose? Not Mike Dodd

4 posters

Go down

Great ash glazed vase, but whose?  Not Mike Dodd Empty Great ash glazed vase, but whose? Not Mike Dodd

Post by lizzy1 January 16th 2018, 6:48 pm

I've got this pot/vase and I'd love to know who made it because the glazing is lovely.  The shape and glaze are both reminiscent of Mike Dodd's work, but it's quite small 4 1/2"and unsigned.Great ash glazed vase, but whose?  Not Mike Dodd Img_4212
Great ash glazed vase, but whose?  Not Mike Dodd Img_4211
Great ash glazed vase, but whose?  Not Mike Dodd Img_4210
Great ash glazed vase, but whose?  Not Mike Dodd Img_4213
lizzy1
lizzy1

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-12-18

Back to top Go down

Great ash glazed vase, but whose?  Not Mike Dodd Empty Re: Great ash glazed vase, but whose? Not Mike Dodd

Post by NaomiM January 16th 2018, 7:12 pm

I'm no good at unmarked pots but it always helps to have a photo of the base.
Not Mike Dodd's glaze colours imo. Ash, not salt; I've edited the title.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Great ash glazed vase, but whose?  Not Mike Dodd Empty Re: Great ash glazed vase, but whose? Not Mike Dodd

Post by lizzy1 January 16th 2018, 7:19 pm

Ok, I'll check if I have one/snap a new one tomorrow when it's light, as the flash bleaches out any detail! In the meantime, it's a. bevelled, b. the glaze bleeds onto the bevel; c. mid grey and d. not noticeably grogged (rough to the thumb but not abrasive). There are no tool- or stilt-marks to the base, but there are a couple of careless glaze/clay crumb blobs, plus the letters 66 in pencil. The pot thickens...
lizzy1
lizzy1

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot January 16th 2018, 9:08 pm

An unmarked pot in the Leach/Cardew Anglo oriental tradition. Unfortunately, you are on a hiding to nothing on this one. Believe me.Been there, done that. There were literally thousands of potters (both amateur and professional) who followed that path in the late 60's/70's. This one is a good little pot, but not a great one. There were an awful lot of good potters, very few great ones.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 16th 2018, 9:49 pm

Haven't found anything in this colour yet, but Mark Hewitt and David Melville also use a similar ash glaze. The drippy ash technique is Japanese-indpired which is why it's helpful to see the base

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzy1 January 16th 2018, 10:13 pm

Lol, thanks! I actually like it quite a lot; it's nicer in real life, so I might keep it after all!
lizzy1
lizzy1

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee January 17th 2018, 7:25 pm

Michael Leach used this glaze at Yelland.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzy1 January 17th 2018, 9:18 pm

Huh! I'll check that out, thanks! - I personally love the way the glaze drips over the incised rings.
lizzy1
lizzy1

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 18th 2018, 2:52 am

Paul Green, Cerne Abbas, has used a similar ash glaze

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum