Moorcroft....it says

Go down

Moorcroft....it says

Post by petet63 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:48 am

Hi all, this is a bottom of the box piece. Just about to go in the charity bag when shockingly the sun came out and I caught a flicker of an impressed mark. It says..Moorcroft with Letter A and Number 6 and the two painted initials. 7cm in Height and a Diameter of 9.5cm. Also has a marble effect inside. It looks like someone painted a blank and initialled it. That's my very uneducated mind on Pottery! Which is why I wanted to ask if anyone could throw some light on this. Thanks

petet63

Male Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-01-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Moorcroft....it says

Post by Potty on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:35 pm

I suspect your right :)

Potty

Number of posts : 3457
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bluenote on Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:55 pm

Think I'd be inclined to agree, a blank with someone's artwork adorning it. A lot if this type of thing regularly turns up in The Potteries and surrounding areas. Its always been so easy to pick blanks up from the various outlets, alongside pots "walking out" in apron pocket, handbags and coats. You also get lots of signatures( or initials) on the bottom which can't be tied back to the respective potteries abd identified as actual decorators
bluenote

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2017-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:52 pm

I believe decorators at some of these potteries were allowed to decorate blanks for their own weddings and anniversaries. May be one of those pieces.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 18517
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by petet63 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:04 pm

If one of the decorators did this it was an off day 😂 Thanks for the comments. Helpful as always. I'm going with William Moorcroft did this as a child and his nannies Signed their initials 😂😂 on its way to christies as we speak😂 Have a great Xmas. Thanks
petet63

Back to top Go down

Post by r-and-f on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:30 pm

During the Second World War the Government put wartime austerity restrictions on the production of decorated pottery, and Moorcroft produced very plain utilitarian wares until going back to their highly decorated designs after 1945. It appears that some of these were cheered up in an amateurish sort of way by being overpainted by their owners. A couple of years ago I had a jug of this type bearing a rather dodgy painting of a thrush. This might also explain your pot.

r-and-f

Male Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2012-02-07

https://randomtreasureblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MCWebs on Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:03 am

good luck at christies Doh!
MCWebs

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2017-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by petet63 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:25 pm

I agree, dodgy painting of the Thrush but leaps and bounds ahead of this. I think it is a child's hand although it would look similar if I did it. I don't know what to do with this. I don't want to throw in a bin or cupboard. Anyone want it as an example of what not to do😄 2.80 to post 2nd Class.
petet63

Back to top Go down

Post by MCWebs on Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 pm

Flogging Dead Horse
MCWebs

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2017-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bluenote on Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:33 pm

petet63 wrote:I agree, dodgy painting of the Thrush but leaps and bounds ahead of this. I think it is a child's hand although it would look similar if I did it. I don't know what to do with this. I don't want to throw in a bin or cupboard. Anyone want it as an example of what not to do😄 2.80 to post 2nd Class.

I'd stick to plan A as surely an expert at Christies will be able to detect the Salvator Mundi beneath its disguise
bluenote

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2017-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum