Quite crude two handled pot - any ideas who produced this type of ware?

2 posters

Go down

Quite crude two handled pot - any ideas who produced this type of ware? Empty Quite crude two handled pot - any ideas who produced this type of ware?

Post by bluenote December 5th 2017, 4:14 pm

A competent but quite crude two handled vessel. Appears to be of red earthenware but you could be forgiven for thinking stoneware if only looking at the rim and handles (which are hand pulled). Glazed on the inside with drips and dribbles on the outside and a possible attemp to glaze the base. Attempt at some incised decoration around the shoulder of the piece. Stands approx 10" high. It was bought in Shropshire and I wondered if it was a Welsh piece. Any thoughts welcome. ThanksQuite crude two handled pot - any ideas who produced this type of ware? 20171212
Quite crude two handled pot - any ideas who produced this type of ware? 20171210
Quite crude two handled pot - any ideas who produced this type of ware? 20171213
Quite crude two handled pot - any ideas who produced this type of ware? 20171214
Quite crude two handled pot - any ideas who produced this type of ware? 20171215
Quite crude two handled pot - any ideas who produced this type of ware? 20171211
bluenote
bluenote

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2017-10-10

Back to top Go down

Quite crude two handled pot - any ideas who produced this type of ware? Empty Re: Quite crude two handled pot - any ideas who produced this type of ware?

Post by NaomiM December 5th 2017, 5:40 pm

Looks like a piece made for the farmhouse. I've seen those double offset handles before but can't remember where. Might have been when I was looking at provincial French pottery.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31420
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Quite crude two handled pot - any ideas who produced this type of ware? Empty Re: Quite crude two handled pot - any ideas who produced this type of ware?

Post by bluenote December 5th 2017, 5:57 pm

Yes thanks Naomi. I'd say its definitely a country piece and the internal glaze suggests it was designed to be liquid proof and used. It was just so crude I had to have it....
bluenote
bluenote

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2017-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum