Relief stoneware pot, brown, markings really hard to see

3 posters

Go down

Relief stoneware pot, brown, markings really hard to see Empty Relief stoneware pot, brown, markings really hard to see

Post by Angel1 September 19th 2017, 10:34 pm

Good evening, I picked up a pot recently and I just love it, but have no idea of its provenance. It has some markings on the base that are really hard to read and was wondering if anyone recognises the style. It was apparently bought back in about the 1970's (although lady could not remember exactly) from a department store called Jolleys and Sons in Bath. It was her mother's, but she didn't like it. Would love to know more about it. Thank you so much for your help in advance.
Relief stoneware pot, brown, markings really hard to see 20170912
Relief stoneware pot, brown, markings really hard to see 20170911
Relief stoneware pot, brown, markings really hard to see 20170910
Angel1
Angel1

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-09-19

Back to top Go down

Relief stoneware pot, brown, markings really hard to see Empty Re: Relief stoneware pot, brown, markings really hard to see

Post by Angel1 September 29th 2017, 12:29 pm

Any ideas on this? Any at all? Is it stoneware? Is it pottery? If anyone can give me any pointer, I would be so grateful...
Angel1
Angel1

Back to top Go down

Relief stoneware pot, brown, markings really hard to see Empty Re: Relief stoneware pot, brown, markings really hard to see

Post by NaomiM September 29th 2017, 12:58 pm

Initially I thought Bretby but it's not their usual stamp. I can't see enough of the Marks on the base to run a search on the numbers

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31420
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel1 September 29th 2017, 1:03 pm

Ah thank you NaomiM, I will see if I can decipher them a bit more. I really appreciate your reply :)
Angel1
Angel1

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 29th 2017, 1:05 pm

It does look familiar, though. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding a similar one with a clearer mark; it's a very distinctive design.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel1 September 29th 2017, 1:14 pm

Yes it is distinctive, and spent hours trawling through pictures, but just cannot find a hook - I can't even work out whether I think the figures are Greek/Jewish/Roman! Part of me thinks it looks a bit like an underworld scene. I may try the old bluetack trick on the markings.
Angel1
Angel1

Back to top Go down

Post by hercules brabazon September 29th 2017, 3:38 pm

The numbers look like the kind of thing you see on 1970s German pottery, and the style is sort of a bit like this Scheurich vase:
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/northwich-auction/catalogue-id-srno10034/lot-32890ecb-77a9-4d61-b02e-a4240120fbb1
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Male Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 29th 2017, 4:05 pm

Ah, that's where I've seen it before; on a German vase. 60s-70s vintage. Could well be Scheurich

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel1 September 29th 2017, 4:28 pm

You are both spot on!!! In desperation I spread flour over the base and then blew on it and it highlighted it beautifully! It is Jasba N800 11 16. Thank you so much for your help.Relief stoneware pot, brown, markings really hard to see With_f10
Angel1
Angel1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum