Help Identify a Blue Crackle Glaze Porcelain Vase

3 posters

Go down

Help Identify a Blue Crackle Glaze Porcelain Vase Empty Help Identify a Blue Crackle Glaze Porcelain Vase

Post by Hierocles June 15th 2017, 10:40 pm

Does anyone have any idea if this is Chinese, and how old it is? This vase is a beautiful slateblue glaze with a large crackle glaze. I used a jeweler's loupe to look at the crackle in the glaze and they are indeed hair-thin deep incisions in the porcelain. There is also a small starburst spot and a thin line on the glaze where it looks like it was bumped into something. It's only in the glass like glaze and does not go thru the porcelain. (Just thought I would mention it since you can see it in a couple of pics). It measures about 7 1/2" high by roughly 4 1/2" at the widest point. The opening is 1 3/4" with a rim that is 3 1/8" across x 1/2" thick before it tapers down to a slightly narrow neck. There is a row of large & small 'nodules' that encircle the top area of the bulbous body and it ends in a 2 1/2" diameter X 1/2" high footed base. It is unmarked on the bottom. I heard that this was a celadon glaze but I thought celadon was a shade of green? I would appreciate any information someone could provide. Thank you so much.

Help Identify a Blue Crackle Glaze Porcelain Vase Asianv10
Help Identify a Blue Crackle Glaze Porcelain Vase Asianv11
Help Identify a Blue Crackle Glaze Porcelain Vase Asianv13
Help Identify a Blue Crackle Glaze Porcelain Vase Asianv15
Help Identify a Blue Crackle Glaze Porcelain Vase Asianv14
Help Identify a Blue Crackle Glaze Porcelain Vase Asianv12
Help Identify a Blue Crackle Glaze Porcelain Vase Asianv16
Hierocles
Hierocles

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2017-05-19

Back to top Go down

Help Identify a Blue Crackle Glaze Porcelain Vase Empty Re: Help Identify a Blue Crackle Glaze Porcelain Vase

Post by NaomiM June 16th 2017, 12:50 am

I'm not finding another example in this shape or colour so I suspect it's a modern one. I have found modern ones with a similar colour of foot rim; I'd expect an old one to have an orange coloured foot from the firing. Chinese crackle glazed pieces were traditionally made in the Ge kiln, and called Ge Ware.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Help Identify a Blue Crackle Glaze Porcelain Vase Empty Re: Help Identify a Blue Crackle Glaze Porcelain Vase

Post by Mordeep June 16th 2017, 5:39 am

These Chinese crackle glazed vases are difficult to date even when they are signed. It's why provenance is so important with oriental ceramics. If you can trace ownership back more than 50 years then the chances are it's early 20th century and has a fair value. 19th century or earlier are much more rare and valuable, at a guess one in a thousand are that old. If you have no history then its almost certainly to be modern and simple a decorative item.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum