When is a Marazion bowl not a Marazion bowl?

3 posters

Go down

When is a Marazion bowl not a Marazion bowl?  Empty When is a Marazion bowl not a Marazion bowl?

Post by Essenjay April 25th 2017, 9:34 pm

Bit of an oddity, this. I would have put money on it being a piece of Marazion when I picked it up so didn't bother looking under the 20p label underneath. The matt black-brown glaze looks right as does the vermillion and green of the decoration. Just the raised detail of the motif looks slightly unusual, almost tube-lined. Turns out that there are inscribed initials which might be CK / CR / GK / GR / YK / YR. Anyone know if Marazion was taken over by anyone following the retirement of George and Heather Nash in 1981? Or any other suggestions?

When is a Marazion bowl not a Marazion bowl?  IMG_0091

When is a Marazion bowl not a Marazion bowl?  IMG_0093

When is a Marazion bowl not a Marazion bowl?  IMG_0094
Essenjay
Essenjay

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-23

Back to top Go down

When is a Marazion bowl not a Marazion bowl?  Empty Re: When is a Marazion bowl not a Marazion bowl?

Post by NaomiM April 25th 2017, 9:56 pm

Looks like GR monogram. Certainly looks like Marazion but I've only seen them signed or with an ink stamp. Run by George Nash and his wife Heather

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

When is a Marazion bowl not a Marazion bowl?  Empty Re: When is a Marazion bowl not a Marazion bowl?

Post by hercules brabazon April 26th 2017, 12:25 am

There are some Marazion pieces signed  "HM Beck", which  would imply that other potters worked there, as well as the Nashes.

http://pin.it/TWnhHLD
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Male Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 26th 2017, 1:09 am

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Becks from Australia...

Robert & Margot Beck
Robert Beck (1942- ), the second son of Henry Hatton Beck and Lucy Beck (nee Boyd), started potting in the mid 1960s with his parents at Murrumbeena, incising his work 'R Beck' or "Beck' . When his parents went to England in 1966, he helped them to establish a pottery in Wandsworth Common for four years. He married Margot (1948- ) in 1970 and in 1971, they set up a pottery in Beaumaris, Melbourne, where his parents had returned to live. The two couples worked closely together over this period, making a range of decorated wares. In 1978 Robert and Margot moved to Cheltenham. As a couple, they painted or incised their work 'R + M Beck'. Margot also incised work she had hand-decorated 'Margot' or 'MB'.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Essenjay April 26th 2017, 10:16 am

Thanks both. My guess is that it was made at Marazion either by a guest potter. I suspect it'll be one of those occasions where we never find out.
Essenjay
Essenjay

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum