+5
brin mcardle
22 Crawford St.
hercules brabazon
Johners2000
debbie32
9 posters

Go down

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Empty EA mark, Elizabeth MacPhail

Post by debbie32 Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:04 pm

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Img_2077
Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Img_2076
Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Img_2074
Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Img_2075

This is a lovely small thing with a strangely cut spout.  Very distinctive colouring but I dont recognise it or the makers mark.  Any help appreciated thanks
debbie32
debbie32

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2016-01-09

Back to top Go down

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Empty Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark

Post by Johners2000 Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:20 pm

I can't find a mark to match but they are well made.

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark S-l16043
Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark S-l16044
Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark S-l16045
Johners2000
Johners2000

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2017-01-04

Back to top Go down

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Empty Re: Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark

Post by hercules brabazon Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:55 am

Could it be the ex-Briglin potter Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey? The only source I have for her is this youtube video by her brother. Marks visible at 5:31 and 6:14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ4BxYiZJkE
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Male Number of posts : 611
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Empty Re: Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark

Post by Johners2000 Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:59 am

How did you spot that. I have done a screen shot of the mark and it is (in my opinion) her work. Is there any more information about her out there?

Beautiful video by her brother.

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Screen18
Johners2000
Johners2000

Back to top Go down

Post by hercules brabazon Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:18 am

I saw the video  a while ago, and precisely because there was absolutely nothing else about her online, it seemed worth making a note of the mark.
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Male Number of posts : 611
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Johners2000 Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:42 am

I have emailed a Briglin website and asked if they have any information on her - I'll post anything I find out.
Johners2000
Johners2000

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Johners, saw the email but I typically have zero time during the day for pots.

Ahh, Liz, yes spoke with Nick her brother a few years back and he inherited her collection after she passed on. I have sent you his email. If you contact him I'm sure he would love to see the photos, and he is the best person to comment on her work.

Many of the items on the video are not typical pieces, they seem to me to be more special items that she kept for herself. So I have not seen the like in the wild, her pieces are not common. Are your pieces also supa thin walled? If so I'm surprised they survived

Marks, from Nicks youtube

EA - Elizabeth Ann (MacPhail)
LIZ

22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Johners2000 Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Yes they are wafer thin. I also have a third item which I think is a base to stand the bowl on.

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Img_1629
Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Img_1630
Johners2000
Johners2000

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:54 pm

And here is my little dishEx-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Dsc02412
Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Dsc02411
Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Dsc02410
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Johners2000 Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:07 pm

She was clearly a talented potter.
Johners2000
Johners2000

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:52 pm

I feel a dedicated thread is about to happen

...before I can say *Abrac.......*

Most Excellent
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by Johners2000 Wed May 03, 2017 8:08 am

Just had this wonderfully enlightening email from Liz's brother Nick…. really paints a picture of the story behind the pots.

"For your further information the pattern on the bowl and plate were made using shells from Port Soif bay which is just across the road from our house where the pottery was located. Liz used to like using natural objects for decoration.

Briglin was an incredible centre not just for pottery but for all the arts due in part to its links with the Goons (some of whom I understand were shareholders). I met them all there together with Herbert Lom (famed for his role in the Pink Panther. He was partner to Brigit Appleby – the Brig of Briglin) when I went to one of the frequent parties there to meet Liz with my friend Angus Boyd-Dudgeon. Angus was just getting known in the recording industry and went on to produce Elton John’s best recordings – he had simplified his name by then to Gus Dudgeon. The sixties were an amazingly innovative and productive time for the arts. By remarkable coincidence I went to the same junior school as Elton John in Pinner – he was then called Dwight and, shamefully, I bullied him. Elton took his stage surname “John” from a friend of Angus’ and mine; Long “John” Baldry. Weird times"
Johners2000
Johners2000

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sun May 28, 2017 2:40 am

Could be EA for Elizabeth McPhail

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31291
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by debbie32 Sun May 28, 2017 7:58 am

So it is - just seen some more of her work online and it matches - thank you so much :)

Last edited by debbie32 on Sun May 28, 2017 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
debbie32
debbie32

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2016-01-09

Back to top Go down

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Empty Elizabeth Ann MacPhail pin dish...?

Post by merlin Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:14 pm

Just wanted to know if someone can confirm, or not, the identity of potter.

Also could someone enlighten me as to what the swirl impressed mark denotes beneath EA signature...?

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark 00710
Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark 00810
Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark 01010
merlin
merlin

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2017-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Yes, it looks right. Spelt Macphail rather than Mcphail, which is why you may have had trouble finding it. I've edited the title.

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t20679-ex-briglin-elizabeth-macphail-at-grandes-roques-guernsey

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:12 am

Miniature swan-boat

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark C4164b10

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark 9ba86010 Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark B7433410 Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark D0c60810 Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark 5a174a10

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Empty Another pot by Elizabeth Macphail

Post by deliaallen2 Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:53 pm

This little pot came into SueRyderHighcliffe this week. Also by Elizabeth Macphail I think.Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Macpha10
deliaallen2
deliaallen2

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:40 am

Looks right Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:53 am

Saw this on in the FLICKR collection of someone called John Clark

I'm not a member and cant be bothered to sign up but if anyone knows him tell him this mystery piece is by Liz Macphail. One less mystery pot Excellent

https://www.flickr.com/photos/getcarter3/albums/72157627246758198/

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Image128
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Empty ELIZABETH MACPHAIL trinket pot

Post by olipayton Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:12 am

It was the lid that caught my eye, the mark looks like either Elizabeth, I am favouring Macphail as I like Briglin Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Image42
Ex-Briglin Elizabeth Macphail at Grandes Roques, Guernsey - EA mark Image41
olipayton
olipayton

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:50 am

22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by olipayton Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:02 am

Laughter
olipayton
olipayton

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum