Clanta Made in England 2354K cherub terracotta planter - Bretby

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clanta Made in England 2354K cherub terracotta planter - Bretby

Post by thelittlelady on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:23 am

Hi,
I'm trying to find out more about this planter my mum gave me, she acquired it from her aunt years ago and it's been in the garden neglected for years. Markings as per photos, "Clanta Made in England 2354K" with an asterix to the right of these markings. Looks like it's made of terracotta with a black wash painted over it. The photos showing the cherubs are a bit dark, the true colour is as per the markings photo.I have pressure cleaned it a little as I thought it was just an ordinary pot, but it didn't take off a lot of the black. The outside shows cherubs holding long stretches of material intertwined with leaves and fruit? It weighs 5 kg (11 pounds) and stands 25.5cms (10 inches) and it's diameter is 28cms (11 inches). I have tried to find it via Google but have only seen smaller ones weighing 2.5 kg and are glazed. Looking forward to finding out a bit more about it. Thank you.

thelittlelady

Female Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Clanta Made in England 2354K cherub terracotta planter - Bretby

Post by Mordeep on Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:45 am

Clanta was a range produced by the Bretby company. That round disk underneath the number on the base should read Bretby. It would have started off being painted completely black I would suggest. I have certainly seen a fair few painted in that manner. Dating from just after 1900 from the stamp used.
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by thelittlelady on Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:45 am

Cheers, thanks for such a quick response.
thelittlelady

Female Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum