Scandinavian Ceramic Peacock Charger Birger Kaipiainen? ID Please

4 posters

Go down

Scandinavian Ceramic Peacock Charger Birger Kaipiainen? ID Please Empty Scandinavian Ceramic Peacock Charger Birger Kaipiainen? ID Please

Post by SteveAntiques February 1st 2017, 1:14 pm

Hello everyone

This is my first post on these forums, it looks like a great Source of Knowledge!

I have recently Acquired this beautiful Peacock ? Bird Charger, it has a beautiful Design and looks to be Scandinavian it has a good amount of age and the finish has age related Crazing, the Glaze has a Lustre Finish, it really is a Piece of High quality. Annoyingly the Artist has not signed it leaving me to hours of Searching through pages of Similar wares online.
Perhaps it is just Wishful thinking but to me the Style of the Bird looks similar to the designs of Birger Kaipiainen for Arabia. the only thing is he works usually has a raised tactile element which this does not have.

does anybody have any idea who this is by ?

thank you for your timeScandinavian Ceramic Peacock Charger Birger Kaipiainen? ID Please P1180413
Scandinavian Ceramic Peacock Charger Birger Kaipiainen? ID Please P1180412
Scandinavian Ceramic Peacock Charger Birger Kaipiainen? ID Please P1180411
Scandinavian Ceramic Peacock Charger Birger Kaipiainen? ID Please P1180410

Steven
SteveAntiques
SteveAntiques

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2017-01-31

Back to top Go down

Scandinavian Ceramic Peacock Charger Birger Kaipiainen? ID Please Empty Re: Scandinavian Ceramic Peacock Charger Birger Kaipiainen? ID Please

Post by dantheman February 1st 2017, 1:35 pm

Welcome Steve, this is a perfect example of how to post an id request Most Excellent
I'm confident it will be answered successfully

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Scandinavian Ceramic Peacock Charger Birger Kaipiainen? ID Please Empty Re: Scandinavian Ceramic Peacock Charger Birger Kaipiainen? ID Please

Post by 22 Crawford St. February 1st 2017, 5:56 pm

Hi Steve , welcome. Really reminds me of all the Nils Thorsson baca designs. I'm no expert and have only seen the more prosaic stuff but methinks you are close. There are some Scandinavian members who may know - Odd as most of what I see from those makers is very carefully signed, dated, marked etc..a lot carry two or more marks.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 1st 2017, 6:09 pm

I don't know, but it's a wonderful piece. Doesn't strike me as Scandinavian, for some reason. I'm wondering if it's Indian or Near Eastern-influence?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31291
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveAntiques February 1st 2017, 10:34 pm

Yeah the thought had Crossed my mind two i thought perhaps Middle eastern, but then after some research it seemed to be Scandinavian,

that Said when i look closely and Handle the Charger to me it looks much earlier than mid 20th century, the feel of the pottery and the crazing on the glaze make me think possibly 1920's or earlier. but it is likely to just be because it is a Hand made studio piece.

either way its a really interesting piece of pottery lets hope someone knows what it is.
kind regards Steven
SteveAntiques
SteveAntiques

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 1st 2017, 11:32 pm

I think you're right about the date. I've been looking at peacock motifs and it could be by someone inspired by Hispano-Moresque designs, but the back of the plate places it in the 20thC. Spanish, Cantigalli, Portugal are also possibilities.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 4th 2017, 11:04 pm

I've been looking at lustre pottery by Manises, Valencia, Spain. Still being made, I think. Could be early 20thC vintage.?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveAntiques February 5th 2017, 8:02 am

thank you for your input. over the years I have had lots of hispano moresque pottery I'm not sure this is that reason being the lustre is usually copper or ruby this has more of a dirty off lustre ams a neater foot rim. the design kind of looks Khorasan (Iranian) but woukd have to be a revival piece.the more we try to research this the further down the rabbit hole we go. thanks so much
SteveAntiques
SteveAntiques

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman February 5th 2017, 12:41 pm

we would love to see more of your collection Steve

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 5th 2017, 2:21 pm

Indeed, I continued into Nishapur and Samarkand pottery, all with a similar influences. But 20thC pieces tend to be 'fantasy' pieces due to the modern influences creeping in.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveAntiques February 5th 2017, 3:11 pm

Thank you again,
like some of you im sure, i Deal in antiques after having a lifelong passion for Ceramics and metal ware especially. my Main interests are Oriental art and unique pieces of Ceramics, so many truly amazing pieces are over looked by so many so it is great to be talking to like minded people. I collect choice pieces but as with everything i am always changing and upgrading.
im glad this Charger has attracted so much debate il keep searching and hopefully find some other information into its origins.

i am going to post another couple of ID Requests with some completely different items Shortly.

kind regards Steven
SteveAntiques
SteveAntiques

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. February 5th 2017, 3:49 pm

Interesting. I see the link with Nishapur and Samarkand pottery after looking them up. Those 12th Century pieces are beautiful. so do we think this is 20thC ? as Naomi says? It's difficult to see the ware on the base from photos?

I was in the V&A last year looking at a Islamic plate with three crusaders painted on it C12th - amazing to think the guy who decorated that plate could draw them from life.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveAntiques February 5th 2017, 4:06 pm

It is difficult to be completely sure with the age, being the only one to have handled the piece i would say early 20th century seems most likely mainly due to the Neatness of the foot.

However i would liken the pottery and the wear and glazing to Japanese Satsuma pottery of the 18th/19th and early 20th century it has that kind of Feel and colour.

sometimes a piece can just be in very good condition and that can throw you off the age.

if anyone wants any More specific Photos of any section of the piece just ask and il put them up.
SteveAntiques
SteveAntiques

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 5th 2017, 5:45 pm

Yes, difficult to date, but the base isn't the same as the 10thC-17thC pieces so I'm fairly confident it's late 19th-early 20thC

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveAntiques March 28th 2017, 8:14 pm

Hello again everyone I recently spoke to the lady who I got this from and she told me she had 3 in total and one had a monogram. I asked if I could have a photo of the monogram and she let me. it looks like AP or RP I think the potter was possibly of Italian decent working in the UK probably in the 1930s sadly she couldn't remember his name. but hopefully someone out there may recognise it.
SteveAntiques
SteveAntiques

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveAntiques March 28th 2017, 8:19 pm

Scandinavian Ceramic Peacock Charger Birger Kaipiainen? ID Please 20170310
SteveAntiques
SteveAntiques

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 28th 2017, 9:12 pm

Oooh, interesting. I'll ask on the Italian Ceramics group, but it may be a bit early for them; they prefer the 60s Laughter

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveAntiques March 28th 2017, 9:27 pm

Hello Naomi

Yeah it's worth a try however she just suggested to me he was italian she wasn't certain so please keep an open mind ;)

thank you for helping
kind regards steven
SteveAntiques
SteveAntiques

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum