Turquoise gourd shaped vase with dragon - Awaji, Japan

5 posters

Go down

Turquoise gourd shaped vase with dragon - Awaji, Japan   Empty Turquoise gourd shaped vase with dragon - Awaji, Japan

Post by Namtaws July 11th 2016, 9:20 am

Please can someone help, my late father purchased this from an antique centre in the 70s
It's 8.5" tall and it's in great almost new looking condition, I can't find anything about it at all
No makers mark etc. Thanks Turquoise gourd shaped vase with dragon - Awaji, Japan   Image11
Turquoise gourd shaped vase with dragon - Awaji, Japan   Image12
Turquoise gourd shaped vase with dragon - Awaji, Japan   Image10
Namtaws
Namtaws

Male Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2016-07-11

Back to top Go down

Turquoise gourd shaped vase with dragon - Awaji, Japan   Empty Re: Turquoise gourd shaped vase with dragon - Awaji, Japan

Post by NaomiM July 11th 2016, 9:32 am

Looks Japanese monochrome Awaji pottery. Possibly late 19th Century but I can't tell from the photos if it has the fine crazing of the glaze that one expects to see on a piece that age.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Turquoise gourd shaped vase with dragon - Awaji, Japan   Empty Re: Turquoise gourd shaped vase with dragon - Awaji, Japan

Post by Namtaws July 11th 2016, 9:36 am

Hi thanks for your reply, yes it has very small crazing to the glaze all over, it's been in my garage for years and I was thinking about getting it valued but I have no idea where to start?
Namtaws
Namtaws

Back to top Go down

Post by Namtaws July 11th 2016, 9:38 am

It just looks to neat and clean to be old!
Namtaws
Namtaws

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman July 11th 2016, 9:45 am

look for clues of manufacture

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Namtaws July 11th 2016, 9:46 am

There are no markings anywhere :(
Namtaws
Namtaws

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman July 11th 2016, 10:05 am

how about throwing, rings, brush strokes or marks left from a mould?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Namtaws July 11th 2016, 10:17 am

I'm a pottery novice as you can probably tell!
I can see faint lines on the outside which I guess would be throwing rings, and also inside looks clean and unpainted with rings around,
Outside the paint looks less brushed and more like slapped on with run marks showing darker turquoise colours, the dragon draped around looks hand made and fired on with very intricate detailing, the hair on the dragon the scales and eyes etc. Are all very detailed
Namtaws
Namtaws

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 11th 2016, 11:11 am

Namtaws wrote:Hi thanks for your reply, yes it has very small crazing to the glaze all over, it's been in my garage for years and I was thinking about getting it valued but I have no idea where to start?

I would think 19thC Awaji, Japan, then. Unlikely to be marked.  We can't give a value, not least because I haven't seen one that shape before. Best to take it to an auction house; preferably one with an expert in Oriental pieces. Maybe send photos to Woolley and Wallis

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/woolley-and-wallis

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Namtaws July 11th 2016, 11:16 am

I will send them an email and let you know what happens, thanks
Namtaws
Namtaws

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 11th 2016, 11:18 am

Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump July 11th 2016, 2:28 pm

Agreed Japanese, the foot-rim is a dead giveaway.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7205
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep July 12th 2016, 3:36 pm

Treble confirm here. It's Japanese late 19th or very early 20th. The foot rim as Denby said confirms it but also the colour. Burmantofts tried to copy them in the UK with limited success. The Japanese ones are never signed.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Namtaws July 12th 2016, 3:45 pm

Thanks do you have a rough idea on its value?
It seems a shame for it to sit in a garage.
Thanks Carl
Namtaws
Namtaws

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 12th 2016, 3:47 pm

Sorry we can't give values on this site. Best to search past auctions on Invaluable.com, but you'll probably find a wide range for Awaji pottery.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Namtaws July 12th 2016, 3:53 pm

Ok thanks
Namtaws
Namtaws

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum