Unusual Stoneware Studio Covered Dish with Scary Face & Greyhound Mark

+3
hercules brabazon
22 Crawford St.
Clarehelen
7 posters

Go down

Unusual Stoneware Studio Covered Dish with Scary Face & Greyhound Mark Empty Unusual Stoneware Studio Covered Dish with Scary Face & Greyhound Mark

Post by Clarehelen June 9th 2016, 11:09 pm

I bought this strange stoneware covered dish at a recent yard sale but can't identify the potter. It has a strange moulded face with screaming/shouting mouth on one side. It's really nicely made if a bit scary! The mark on the base looks like a greyhound with some writing underneath? Any ideas? It's 6.5" tall and may be a cheese dish? Thanks.

Unusual Stoneware Studio Covered Dish with Scary Face & Greyhound Mark P1240013
Unusual Stoneware Studio Covered Dish with Scary Face & Greyhound Mark P1240012
Unusual Stoneware Studio Covered Dish with Scary Face & Greyhound Mark P1240011
Unusual Stoneware Studio Covered Dish with Scary Face & Greyhound Mark P1240010
Clarehelen
Clarehelen

Female Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2016-06-09

Back to top Go down

Unusual Stoneware Studio Covered Dish with Scary Face & Greyhound Mark Empty Re: Unusual Stoneware Studio Covered Dish with Scary Face & Greyhound Mark

Post by 22 Crawford St. June 9th 2016, 11:36 pm

You have lovely ears
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Unusual Stoneware Studio Covered Dish with Scary Face & Greyhound Mark Empty Re: Unusual Stoneware Studio Covered Dish with Scary Face & Greyhound Mark

Post by Clarehelen June 9th 2016, 11:43 pm

Thanks - my dog Max's ears actually!
Clarehelen
Clarehelen

Back to top Go down

Post by hercules brabazon June 10th 2016, 12:20 am

Could the lettering say "Stanford Hall Pottery"? I can find passing references to a pottery there:
http://www.information-britain.co.uk/showPlace.cfm?Place_ID=3936O

Or it might have something to do with the other Stanford Hall, in Nottinghamshire, which is, as I understand it, very close to the Muggins Pottery.
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Male Number of posts : 611
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep June 10th 2016, 6:04 am

I have seen the mark without the writing before on an item of art deco looking pottery. So it could be a company rather than a single studio potter. As for what's written. The last word on ceramics is normally country or place of origin and very few places start with IT and end in Y, apart from I would suggest ITALY? I would suggest looking for a factory that uses a double greyhound or double lion mark in Italy.

Oh and I think its for salt Most Excellent
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarehelen June 10th 2016, 9:28 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Having studied the writing more, I think the last word is POTTERY, but the first few letters haven't taken properly. The first two words could possibly be Stanford Hall, but I can't find any examples of pottery directly related to Stanford Hall. The Muggins Pottery does make similar stoneware, but the faces on their pieces are quite cute and appealing - not at all like this rather haunting creature! Their marks are not like this, but I think I might contact them to ask if they have any thoughts. I might also drop a line to Stanford Hall. Every bit of info helps!
Clarehelen
Clarehelen

Back to top Go down

Post by hercules brabazon June 10th 2016, 12:34 pm

The dog mark is actually the crest from the shield of the Cave family of Stanford Hall, Leicestershire:
http://www.cavefhs.com/heraldry/

Heraldically " a greyhound courant sable, collared  argent, and holding in the mouth an escroll, thereon the motto Gardez.....
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Male Number of posts : 611
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman June 10th 2016, 1:08 pm

@moordeep

looks more like a cheese dome to me,the lid looks too big for a salt container

Last edited by dantheman on June 10th 2016, 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 10th 2016, 5:37 pm

It looks like Shelf or Grayshott or similar, from the 70s. If it has the Hall's crest then it may have been a commission.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarehelen June 10th 2016, 6:04 pm

So glad I joined this forum - it's giving me so many ideas about where to look for more info, and introducing me to lots of different potteries! I'm really enjoying following them up.
Clarehelen
Clarehelen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep June 10th 2016, 10:11 pm

That's the idea Clarehelen Happy

You will find a lot of knowledge spread around the members of this forum. We often differ in what we think but share a passion and an interest in ceramics that I hope comes across to new members. If you get enough replies chances are you will find the right answer in them some place.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep June 10th 2016, 10:12 pm

dantheman wrote:@moordeep

looks more like a cheese dome to me,the lid looks too big for a salt container

Seen a few salt domes that look like this now. But as it's studio and not 19th century art pottery I will admit I am probably wrong Excellent
Mordeep
Mordeep

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump June 11th 2016, 1:08 am

Just hypothesizing!
Could the bottom word be ABATY (Wales)?
The clay and glaze is right, and they did use a
brown printed mark like this one.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 11th 2016, 1:43 am

denbydump wrote:Just hypothesizing!
Could the bottom word be ABATY (Wales)?
The clay and glaze is right, and they did use a
brown printed mark like this one.

Good thinking Denby. Does look very similar
There was also Pembrokeshire Pottery, which used the same clay and glaze.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarehelen June 11th 2016, 8:25 am

I'm not familiar with Abaty, but have looked at examples on line, and the clay type and glaze do seem to be similar, so will look into this more. I've also been looking into the Stanford Hall link more and interestingly the crest of the Braye family who were the original owners of Stanford Hall includes a greyhound very similar in form to the one on this backstamp.
Clarehelen
Clarehelen

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarehelen June 11th 2016, 11:22 pm

I've contacted Muggins - not one of theirs and they don't recognise the mark.
Clarehelen
Clarehelen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum