Ruskin pottery in Texas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ruskin pottery in Texas

Post by Astrantia on June 5th 2016, 6:09 pm

I saw this in a charity online auction, and I thought it looked interesting and valuable, so I bought it. I looked up the scissors mark and now I know I have an early Ruskin, but I don't know what to do with it. I'm from London, so I want to know if this is rare, and if I should bring it home and sell it in the UK, or should I find a collector over here. What do you think?

Astrantia

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Ruskin pottery in Texas

Post by 22 Crawford St. on June 5th 2016, 6:15 pm

1) Hi Astrantia - Welcome! Glad you worked out how to post really nice photos
2) You've posted in a strange place - so don't get upset if this post gets moved
3) A search (top right) for RUSKIN will take you here http://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t4003-ruskin-pottery?highlight=RUSKIN
4) I'm sure someone will answer you questions soon you are in the right place

22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on June 5th 2016, 6:35 pm

There must be Ruskin collectors in the US. May be safer to sell it at auction there, rather than risk breaking it on a journey back to the UK. Do Christies or Bonhams have any branches in Texas?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 16146
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman on June 5th 2016, 7:00 pm

it should fetch a premium in the States due to it's greater rarity

"Modern Art" is produced by incompetents, sold by charlatans and bought by ignoramuses?

It is enlightening to juxtapose "Fine Art" to "Modern Art"
dantheman
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 12642
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump on June 5th 2016, 7:53 pm

It lools to be a Water jug, and is shown in the 1905 catalogue here:

http://ruskinpottery.org/the-lost-catalogue
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 3141
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Astrantia on June 6th 2016, 3:34 am

Thank you all for the replies.
1) I was a little worried that the pictures might be too big, and I messed up posting it to the right place because I clicked on the wrong thing and lost the original post.
2) There is a Christie's in Dallas. An email address and a name anyway. I did look up auctions in Texas; I found Coca-Cola memorabilia, tractors and oil field stuff. I will send an email to the Christie's rep.
3) There are at least two museums over here with Ruskin Pottery collections, one of those being the Metropolitan in New York. The V&A also has a big collection. I have not seen this jug in any of the online information about those collections, which made me wonder if it is quite rare.
4) Thank you for the link to the lost catalogue. Yes, there is my little jug, although I shouldn't think it holds much more than a pint. I suspect an ale jug would have been a lot bigger!

So, the pot had grooves cut into it before firing, and the pewter handle was added after. Does anyone know what kind of glaze this is? Is it lustre?
Astrantia

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep on June 6th 2016, 6:09 am

Hi Astrantia

It's a nice Ruskin you have there. The glaze could be described as souffle but these early decorated items tend not to be labeled by the glaze but design. It is an uncommon item with the pewter addition but it's not unusual to find Ruskin in America. He sold an awful lot in the states. Insurance value in England would be something in the mid hundreds. The truly high values on Ruskin are exclusively for the high fired stoneware items.

I am sure an auction house could sell it for you but I would expect half of the hammer price to be swallowed up in charges at this level. A certain online listing site could be the place to sell it, though American export charges would hurt its global appeal. If it was mine I would look for the largest antique fair in your area and pop along. A private sale to an arts & crafts dealer will probably get you the best return.

Oh and the design should give you a big clue of its intended use by the way. It shows grapes = wine Laughter
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum