Request for info about this dresser, please

5 posters

Go down

Request for info about this dresser, please Empty Request for info about this dresser, please

Post by mikebetts March 26th 2016, 12:23 pm

OK, so I don't suppose it's old or valuable and it's not pretty but I would appreciate any information about this dresser. It looks like the top and bottom are an unsuitable marriage but does anyone have any ideas about the maker (no markings), the age or the origin. A puzzling feature is a front-to-back slot about 9 inches long and one inch wide in the base of the right hand cupboard. The slot goes through to the drawer underneath and am wondering what it is for?
Request for info about this dresser, please <a href=Request for info about this dresser, please Dresser" />
Request for info about this dresser, please <a href=Request for info about this dresser, please Dresser%20Door" />
mikebetts
mikebetts

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Request for info about this dresser, please Empty Re: Request for info about this dresser, please

Post by studio-pots March 26th 2016, 2:54 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Mike.

To be honest we don't have many members, who buy furniture, so I suspect we aren't going to be able to tell you much more than you know.

I have to agree with you about it being a marriage and the top, although oak like the base, was probably added later. My guess would be the 1930s.

The base looks better quality but most of these pieces of furniture were made all over the country and rarely have any makers marks so even for experts it is usually impossible to pin the work to a specific maker. So made in the UK and probably fairly local to where you found it.

I think the base is earlier than the top but still probably 20th century and, as you are probably aware that it is a piece of furniture that is worth very little, being out of fashion.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Request for info about this dresser, please Empty Re: Request for info about this dresser, please

Post by NaomiM March 26th 2016, 3:47 pm

I can't see the slot you mention. Is it in the photos?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebetts March 26th 2016, 4:35 pm

Thank you for your reply and particularly for letting me know that these items were made all over the country. The last owner, since deceased, was believed to have come from Yorkshire so maybe that's its origin. With regard to the slot in the bottom of the RH cupboard; unfortunately I failed to include it in a photograph and I'm now 300 miles away so unlikely to see it again before May. It had been neatly cut, rounded at both ends, smoothly finished, and there were no indications that it had been added after manufacture (i.e. the appearance of the cut surfaces was consistent with the rest of the piece).

Thanks again for your views (and apologies for the overly large photos!)
mikebetts
mikebetts

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 26th 2016, 4:47 pm

Could it have been for the insertion of a rod to lift it?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 26th 2016, 4:54 pm

Found this 17thC coffer made in the West Riding of Yorkshire with a similar panel to yours, so it seems the maker may well have been based in Yorkshire and copying earlier forms.

Request for info about this dresser, please Image14

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by zippy March 26th 2016, 7:26 pm

I cant say I know anything about furniture but Im sure SP is right for date.
going off the drop handles and the fact the barley twist don't all go the same way ie yours two to the left two to the right.

I do think it's a nice piece though and much under appreciated. Welcome to the forum : ) x
zippy
zippy

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2016-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebetts March 26th 2016, 8:41 pm

Thanks, all, for helpful comments - what a friendly lot! In this image I've made a crude attempt to illustrate the size and position of the mysterious slot in the 'floor' of the right hand cupboard. The illustration is supposed to show the RH cupboard door fully open and the RH drawer below the cupboard pulled open. I'm not sure whether its position would be suitable for the insertion of a rod for lifting and, of course, the slot is not repeated on the LH side. But thanks for the idea.
Request for info about this dresser, please <a href=Request for info about this dresser, please Dresser_1" />
mikebetts
mikebetts

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 26th 2016, 10:04 pm

Very interesting puzzle. Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 26th 2016, 10:08 pm

Ok, my guess is for a pull out zinc lined tin/bucket. Maybe a slop bucket. There could have been a fixing underneath so it could be unscrewed and removed, but which prevented the bucket from falling out when slid forward for use.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump March 26th 2016, 11:03 pm

Yes the two pieces don't match. Late Victorian/Edwardian my guess.
Could it be a wine chiller? the drawer underneath to collect the melted ice?
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebetts March 27th 2016, 10:01 am

Thanks, denby, I'm attracted by your idea!
mikebetts
mikebetts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum