TWH marked LOUGHTON - Thomas (Tom) W. Howard

+3
big ed
Potty
brin mcardle
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

TWH marked LOUGHTON -  Thomas (Tom) W. Howard Empty Vase marked TWH - Tom W. Howard, Loughton

Post by brin mcardle June 9th 2013, 4:35 pm

TWH marked LOUGHTON -  Thomas (Tom) W. Howard Copied76

TWH marked LOUGHTON -  Thomas (Tom) W. Howard Copied77

TWH marked LOUGHTON -  Thomas (Tom) W. Howard Copied78

This was potted in Loughton , Essex....any ideas ??
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

TWH marked LOUGHTON -  Thomas (Tom) W. Howard Empty Re: TWH marked LOUGHTON - Thomas (Tom) W. Howard

Post by Potty June 9th 2013, 5:31 pm

I think I have a porcelain bowl by this maker with an area name incised also, I'll have a look when it's out of the dishwasher!

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

TWH marked LOUGHTON -  Thomas (Tom) W. Howard Empty Re: TWH marked LOUGHTON - Thomas (Tom) W. Howard

Post by brin mcardle June 12th 2013, 10:29 pm

Did you find any info Potty ?
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty June 13th 2013, 12:48 am

It's out the dishwasher anyway Excellent

TWH marked LOUGHTON -  Thomas (Tom) W. Howard 1_125 TWH marked LOUGHTON -  Thomas (Tom) W. Howard 1_224

How come you mention he/she studied under Leach by the way?

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle June 13th 2013, 3:10 am

its what the seller told me... he had a few bits
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 13th 2013, 6:55 am

The Pear Tree Pottery was in Laughton , maybe a connection Shrugs
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 13th 2013, 10:15 pm

His name was Tom W. Howard. I don't know about the Leach connection but he started potting in Loughton in 1956 so your vase Brin is an early piece. I don't know when he finished but it does appear that he was there in 1971!

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty June 13th 2013, 10:18 pm

The important question is... Should I continue eating my Coco Pops out of it? Cheeky

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle June 13th 2013, 10:26 pm

thank you...the seller had a few bits by this guy in various styles...he told me the wife of the sculptor had placed an ad in the local paper after he died...selling his wares and he bought over 40 pieces....I really like it
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 13th 2013, 10:37 pm

I think your vase Brin is earthenware, as he seems to have potted with that up to 1960 before going over to stoneware and it seems porcelain. No reason not to eat your cereal from his bowl but you really ought to have grown out of Coco Pops by now. They're not good for you.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle June 13th 2013, 10:59 pm

its very tactile.....and if I ever get the urge for Coco Pops-I will think of you:happy2:
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 13th 2013, 11:15 pm

brin mcardle wrote:its very tactile.....and if I ever get the urge for Coco Pops-I will think of you:happy2:

I know that you are far too sensible to have "Coco Pop urges" Brin, those comments were aimed at young Potty. He'll never reach our age unless he stops abusing his body with such things.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty June 13th 2013, 11:48 pm

"Flavoured with real cocoa and fortified with additional nutrients, a 30g serving of Kellogg’s®️ Coco Pops®️ provides a source of vitamins and iron." Cheeky

I tend to eat Coco Pops or Porridge at the moment, but this bowl is hopeless for porridge Excellent

On topic: I think they both look fairy well potted anyway.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle June 14th 2013, 4:43 am

as a matter of interest..John. Had you heard of this feller before or did you research him..i could find nothing ?
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 14th 2013, 8:43 am

Potty wrote:"Flavoured with real cocoa and fortified with additional nutrients, a 30g serving of Kellogg’s®️ Coco Pops®️ provides a source of vitamins and iron." Cheeky

I tend to eat Coco Pops or Porridge at the moment, but this bowl is hopeless for porridge Excellent

On topic: I think they both look fairy well potted anyway.

Remember Potty - no advertising Naughty...................... but porridge (especially the "religious" brand) is much better for you.

Last edited by studio-pots on June 14th 2013, 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 14th 2013, 8:58 am

brin mcardle wrote:as a matter of interest..John. Had you heard of this feller before or did you research him..i could find nothing ?

When I first saw the mark I thought Tom Howard, as it was a name that I was aware of in the past but couldn't find a reference to him in BSPM. I then assumed that I was getting the name confused with my wife's godson, who has the same name, but was convinced that the potter's surname was Howard.

I then stumbled upon a reference to him in Godden and have now re-checked BSPM and found that he was in there all the time. BSPM used all the references from Godden to studio potters from 1962 and before.

So I suspect that I did have one of his pots in the distant past and had successfully identified it then. In the back of my mind though I do think that I might have seen a short article about him somewhere a long time ago.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle June 14th 2013, 9:22 am

Thanks
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Back to top Go down

TWH marked LOUGHTON -  Thomas (Tom) W. Howard Empty TWH marked LOUGHTON - Thomas (Tom) W. Howard

Post by i2h November 22nd 2015, 12:53 pm

Can anyone help me identify the maker of this bottle/decanter. On the base it is impressed with a Monogram that looks to be TWH and the number 58 which I'm guessing is perhaps a Shape Number. It's also impressed LOUGHTON. The actual bottle measures about 9 inches tall by about 6.5 inches across. The mouth of the bottle has a cork seal into which the top fits. Thanks.

TWH marked LOUGHTON -  Thomas (Tom) W. Howard Bottle11

TWH marked LOUGHTON -  Thomas (Tom) W. Howard 1783511

TWH marked LOUGHTON -  Thomas (Tom) W. Howard 17835a11
i2h
i2h

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman November 22nd 2015, 12:59 pm

the form is influenced by Westerwald pieces but I don't recognise the maker

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 22nd 2015, 1:18 pm

It's a ring flask. They also made them in Scotland and Hungary etc.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31479
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 22nd 2015, 1:20 pm

Beswick was at Loughton, Essex, so maybe someone was allowed to do a bit of private work

Last edited by NaomiM on November 22nd 2015, 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31479
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty November 22nd 2015, 2:30 pm

Tom W. Howard, same guy who made my porcelain coco-pops bowl Cheeky

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots November 22nd 2015, 2:38 pm

Potty beat me to it but the 58 is the year of manufacture so................. 1958.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty November 22nd 2015, 2:40 pm

studio-pots wrote:Potty beat me to it

TWH marked LOUGHTON -  Thomas (Tom) W. Howard 2838678103

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by i2h November 22nd 2015, 3:01 pm

That's great. I'd spent ages looking on Google with no joy at all. Now that I have the name, it seems very easy to get some details about the maker - so many thanks to everyone who looked and/or replied but particularly to Potty and Studio-pots.
i2h
i2h

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum