Large Majolica Barbotine hand painted vase

4 posters

Go down

Large Majolica Barbotine hand painted vase Empty Large Majolica Barbotine hand painted vase

Post by scolada October 7th 2015, 3:48 pm

Hello All,

Wondering if someone could help me today with a beautiful vase that I just picked up. It doesn't appear to be signed from what I can see although it is marked with a couple of numbers which aren't helping me but I'm trying to narrow things sown a bit. I think its majolica and it could be barbotine but I'm no expert and was hoping someone could chime in with any ideas. Perhaps someone has seen something similar? I was thinking perhaps French or Austrian. Thanks in advance for any tips you could give.

Scott.

Large Majolica Barbotine hand painted vase IMG_2723

Large Majolica Barbotine hand painted vase IMG_2724

Large Majolica Barbotine hand painted vase IMG_2725

Large Majolica Barbotine hand painted vase IMG_2726

Large Majolica Barbotine hand painted vase IMG_2727

Large Majolica Barbotine hand painted vase IMG_2728

scolada
scolada

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2015-02-17

Back to top Go down

Large Majolica Barbotine hand painted vase Empty Re: Large Majolica Barbotine hand painted vase

Post by NaomiM October 7th 2015, 3:56 pm

My first thought was Austrian, but I'm afraid I can't narrow down the factory on just numbers, which I assume are pattern/shape numbers.
Also the face and arms look like they've been over painted. Has a previous owner given it a paint job?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Large Majolica Barbotine hand painted vase Empty Re: Large Majolica Barbotine hand painted vase

Post by denbydump October 7th 2015, 3:57 pm

Not exactly Barbotine, but yes Majolica. Continental, could also be German.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep October 7th 2015, 4:32 pm

I have a tobacco jar with a very similar unglazed base, numbers and it was also painted after it was fired like yours. After some research I turned out to be a design by a German company called Contra & Boehme famous for fairing figure groups. If this is not Austrian and I think you have a high chance it is Austrian when you compare others from before the 1st world war then Contra & Boehme look like contenders.

Google will give you lots to compare though, after taking a peek at Contra & Boehme. Search for Amphora to be buried under many very similar items.

P.S
It made me laugh when I found out and I am sorry to say after many years following antiques it was pretty recent that I learned this but Majolica is called different things depending on the country it comes from. It's normally tin glazed pottery although the English messed things up by also calling something completely different Majolica in the Victorian times. Don't think yours fits under these group names though sorry  Embarrassed  Although it shares some colour similarities with the English Majolica made by the Victorians (check Minton who made English Majolica)  

For reference. Majolica is most often known by the following depending on origin.
Spain = Hispano-Moresque Ware
Spain = Majolica
Italy = Maiolica
Netherlands = Delftware
England = English delftware
France = Faience
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by scolada October 7th 2015, 9:16 pm

Thanks everyone! As always, you've been an incredible help and I really do appreciate it. Thank you.
scolada
scolada

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2015-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump October 7th 2015, 9:19 pm

You are welcome, great pix always help.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum