native american ritual oil painting

2 posters

Go down

native american ritual oil painting Empty native american ritual oil painting

Post by 2canton4 October 2nd 2015, 6:36 am

Hello, Is anyone familiar with this native American artist or their work(s)? This native ritual oil painting is signed Johnny Begay and dated 1977 (I am not certain if this particular artist is related to the renowned Begay jewelry family; could be possible!).  Any information or assistance with this query would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! David.

native american ritual oil painting Waterm45
native american ritual oil painting Waterm46
native american ritual oil painting Waterm47
native american ritual oil painting Waterm48
native american ritual oil painting Waterm49
2canton4
2canton4

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

native american ritual oil painting Empty Re: native american ritual oil painting

Post by tjreedy January 9th 2018, 3:25 am

I have 3 of Johnny Begay's oil paintings and my brother has an oil and a watercolor. Two of mine - a cowboy beside a herd and a hogan beside an old wagon in the rain - are dated 77 and signed, the signature on one matching the signature on yours.

My father pastored a church in Albuquerque from 1976 to 1980 and helped Johnny when his alcoholism got the better of him. I lived at home until HS graduation in 78 and remember him. Johnny had one arm, but still built his own canvas frames and stretched the canvas over them. He got beaten up quite badly once and my father let him stay in a room to heal. Some of the paintings were gifts, I think in recognition of the help, but my parents also paid for some as well. My third painting - a night scene with teepees- was a Christmas gift from my parents while I was at college.

I'm trying to get further info on Johnny myself.

Tom
tjreedy
tjreedy

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-09-13

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum