Oribe style....thing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oribe style....thing

Post by alexlenehan on September 20th 2015, 6:59 pm

This may be a love it or hate it piece. Its not quite the right green for Oribe so I am not sure what it is, unfortunately the mark is barely readable.  

Alex

alexlenehan

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2015-09-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Oribe style....thing

Post by studio-pots on September 21st 2015, 3:04 pm

It's a Japanese three footed dish for serving food on and, as you say, with the seal being covered with glaze it makes it difficult.

Do you know where it was bought from?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alexlenehan on September 21st 2015, 11:45 pm

Hi studio-pots, it was purchased from a charity shop here in Boston, US. Sorry, I know that probably isn't much help! As I said on the other thread this, the 2 plates and the rectangular dish were all purchased together.

Alex
alexlenehan

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2015-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on September 22nd 2015, 9:11 am

Over the years I have sold a vast amount of studio pottery to the States and, for whatever reason, a high percentage has been to people in and around Boston and Massachusetts in general. Therefore I imagine you could well pick up British studio pottery there, if you are lucky, as I can't be the only business supplying the area from here.

The reason for asking about this piece is that I vaguely thought it could have been made by someone here in the UK, as it has similarities to things I am familiar with.

However, I think it would just be guesswork to suggest that it was anything other than an item of Japanese tableware that was most probably made in Japan or by a studio potter influenced by traditional Japanese ceramics.

You are correct about the green not being typical of that used in Seto/Mino.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: