Jug with thumb rest.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jug with thumb rest.

Post by Marcusborra on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:49 pm

On a recent post  I was interested to read the comment by studio-pots about thumb rests and would welcome his opinion about this jug with a thumb rest which I am having difficulty identifying.  Looks well made (to me) with a clear incised mark.
Comments and opinions from everyone very welcome.

Marcusborra

Male Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2013-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Jug with thumb rest.

Post by studio-pots on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:15 pm

I was only passing on the opinion of someone who knows far more about handles than I do. We were having lunch and coffee and he was using a coffee pot by an Abuja potter (I can't remember which one) and a hot milk lidded jug by Michael Cardew. When he pointed out the difference and explained why Cardew's was in the exact place it should be I could see what he meant. It was something that I hadn't considered before and I do not regard myself as an expert.

So as just the messenger, although the mark says MC (Michael Cardew) the thumb rest says no way. Michael OBrien would go with a hobby potter I think.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5265
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcusborra on Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:29 pm

Thanks studio-pots. I was only considering the thumb rest. The mark is co-incidental. There are many items marked MC (MichaelCardew) that are not by him that I did not even consider that option. To my eyes, the glaze quality suggests more than hobby potter though.
Marcusborra

Male Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2013-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:28 pm

I know that you weren't thinking that it was by Cardew but it fitted with what I was writing, so I threw that in. Cheeky

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5265
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: