Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy.

+2
NaomiM
ClaraIreland2
6 posters

Go down

Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. Empty Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy.

Post by ClaraIreland2 July 3rd 2015, 12:38 pm

26 cm diameter antique plate which I think is Italian. It has a central depiction of a God in the clouds together with a phoenix like bird. The border is a series of what looks like oranges and putti. Can you help me to identify the maker, its age and who the God might be. Many thanks

Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. Dscn6110
Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. Dscn6111
Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. Dscn6112
ClaraIreland2
ClaraIreland2

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2014-01-27

Back to top Go down

Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. Empty Re: Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy.

Post by NaomiM July 3rd 2015, 6:22 pm

Looks Italian. Difficult to know the age as they've been making them for about 300 years, but the lack of a mark points to a late 19thC date. Seems a bit too well preserved for an earlier date.
I don't know who it's; seems to bel scene from Greek mythology maybe

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31520
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. Empty Re: Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy.

Post by hercules brabazon July 3rd 2015, 11:57 pm

It might be St John the Evangelist, with his symbol, the eagle.
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Male Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by r-and-f July 4th 2015, 8:48 pm

This is Castelli maiolica from Abruzzo, Italy. You can google the name to find lots of images of similar plates.

Afraid I don't know the subject of the picture but it's an "istoriato" piece which tells a religious or mythological story.

I suggest you take it to show to a reputable dealer or auctioneer to get it authenticated, because if it's the real thing from around the middle of the eighteenth century (which it might very well be), it's a very desirable object for maiolica collectors. Experts can often tell from the style of painting which workshop produced the piece.

As you might be able to tell, I'm dead jealous!

r-and-f
r-and-f

Male Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2012-02-07

https://randomtreasureblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaraIreland2 July 5th 2015, 12:00 pm

Thank you to everyone who has responded with information about this plate. I am very grateful. I will be taking your advice and researching this further. Best wishes and many thanks to 20th Century Forum. Ann
ClaraIreland2
ClaraIreland2

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2014-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. July 5th 2015, 8:55 pm

Drinks all round everyone! Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. 910958 Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. 910958 Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. 847164 Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. 847164
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skay July 5th 2015, 9:13 pm

22 Crawford St. wrote:Drinks all round everyone! Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. 910958 Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. 910958 Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. 847164 Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. 847164

Italian faience plate, Castelli maiolica, Abruzzo, Italy. 234527 You guys!

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. July 5th 2015, 10:17 pm

I really like happy endings!
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by r-and-f July 5th 2015, 11:31 pm

I'll be interested to hear the outcome . . .
r-and-f
r-and-f

Male Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2012-02-07

https://randomtreasureblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum