John & Joan Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk, PZP mark

5 posters

Go down

John & Joan Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk, PZP mark Empty John & Joan Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk, PZP mark

Post by seandux May 9th 2015, 8:10 am

Hi All.  Found in North Yorkshire and clearly marked on the base, can anyone id this small jug.  I've been through Yates-Owen & Foutnier Studio Pottery Marks but can't see anything.  The decoration is not painted on the vase but has been 'scratched' through the brown glaze.  Small, it only measures 5.5 cms tall and is 5 cms in diameter at the base.  Any help much appreciated.

VIEW OF DECORATION

John & Joan Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk, PZP mark Studio%20deer%201%20small_zpslw3jk7ls

VIEW OF BASE & MARK

John & Joan Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk, PZP mark Studio%20deer%202%20small_zpswmdqicl5

Last edited by NaomiM on August 3rd 2021, 1:25 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Tidying up thread title)
seandux
seandux

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

John & Joan Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk, PZP mark Empty Re: John & Joan Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk, PZP mark

Post by studio-pots May 9th 2015, 9:24 am

Palgrave Pottery, which was near Bungay in Suffolk from 1953 to c 1982. Potters were a husband and wife whose surname was Colliers.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

John & Joan Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk, PZP mark Empty Palgrave Pottery

Post by Nickw January 1st 2016, 5:04 pm

qUite by chance I saw the item. John and Joan Collier were my uncle and aunt. John was in the RFC in WW1 and was awarded the DFC, in WW2 he was in Bomber Command and between wars he was a flying instructor at Norwich Aero Club. Joan was a good watercolour artist and they were both musical. After WW2 John could not settle and after trying various ventures the couple started Palgrave Pottery, having learnt the basics at Wattisffield Pottery.

As a youngster I used to cycle from Brentwood in ESsex to see aunt and uncle and spent many happy hours in the pottery, at first in Palgrave and later near Bungay when they moved there.

They were lovely people but a bit unworldly, refusing to sell to people they did not like and timing their delivery trips around UK to coincide with county cricket matches.

I have no items of their pottery now but would certainly buy the item if it was for sale, for old times sake
Nickw
Nickw

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-01-01

Back to top Go down

John & Joan Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk, PZP mark Empty Re: John & Joan Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk, PZP mark

Post by studio-pots January 1st 2016, 5:56 pm

Welcome Nick and thank you for your reminiscences. They are a wonderful addition to the information here.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seandux January 3rd 2016, 11:08 am

Hi Nick. Thanks very much for the message and apologies for the late response. Unfortunately in my 'end of year clear out' (which my wife insists on otherwise our house would be overflowing with 'stuff') I donated the jug with several other items to one of our local charities. I have been to see if it was still available so I could buy it back for you but it had already been sold. I do have your details now and know their mark so if I come across anything similar again I'll get in touch to let you know. Regards
seandux
seandux

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

John & Joan Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk, PZP mark Empty Slipware vase P/P - Mr & Mrs J Colliers, Palgrave Pottery

Post by Essenjay November 16th 2017, 6:38 pm

Slip decorated vase, good visible potting rings, and an impressed P/P or possibly PZP on the underside. If it is PZP, then it isn't Anthony Richards' usual Penzance Pottery mark.

John & Joan Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk, PZP mark MXUMEg

John & Joan Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk, PZP mark JdYrJN

John & Joan Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk, PZP mark MzytiV
Essenjay
Essenjay

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 16th 2017, 7:44 pm

Mr & Mrs J Colliers, Palgrave Pottery, Suffolk

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum