Roman/Syrian Glass or Modern Italian?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Roman/Syrian Glass or Modern Italian?

Post by Dannd on December 25th 2014, 3:37 am

Hello,

I have a glass piece I was wondering if anyone here had some information on Roman/Syrian glass bottles. It has a pontil and a nice iridescence to it however the inside isnt as weathered as the outside. I know that a few Italian glass firms make weathered "Roman style" glassware and I havent seen any Roman glass that has the strawberry prunts on them. Maybe its just a Syrian tourist piece? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Dannd

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2013-03-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Roman/Syrian Glass or Modern Italian?

Post by NaomiM on December 25th 2014, 12:17 pm

I have a modern copy. The coating comes from smearing lime or cement over the surface, and it's made in soda glass which has loads of bubbles. Yours looks like either s far better quality copy or a real one. Iridescence is hard to fake. I would advise taking it to a museum for a proper appraisal

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 15587
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic on December 25th 2014, 1:55 pm

It is post-1960s 'scavo' glass - the effect is created by rolling the glass in ashes and various salts whilst it's still hot.

There's a fair chance it is from Murano - those I've seen from other countries, and from other parts of Italy, will tend to have a more evenly applied coating that makes it look like rough frosted glass rather than anything that was once in the ground.

The base finish is probably too crude for Seguso SVdA or Gino Cenedese - the most prolific manufacturers of modern Muranese scavo - so Vetreria Luigi Mellara might be a place to start looking.
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2533
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannd on December 25th 2014, 10:44 pm

Hello!

Thank you both for your replies. I had a suspicion that it was scavo glass (since the form and prunts are more modern). The only similar ones I can find are by Seguso whos surface texture/iridescence is identical and the prunts seem to be used by Seguso as well which I cannot find on any of the other glass houses you mentioned. Thank you both for your help! Merry Christmas!
Dannd

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic on December 26th 2014, 1:34 am

Seguso didn't generally iridise their scavo glass, they tended to favour purely white powdery scavo covering, and the bases were roughly ground or (occasionally) polished flat, or were completely moulded (with no pontil mark) if the top rim was to be ground down.

I would, personally (having bought/sold several dozen Seguso scavo pieces over the years), cross it off the list of possible factories.
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannd on December 26th 2014, 5:50 pm

Nic,

Thank you for the detailed information on Seguso scavo pieces (it's hard to find that kind of info unless you have personal experiences with the pieces). The pieces I found must have been mistakenly attributed to Seguso (as they were iridescent with pontil marks as well). What about the strawberry punts? Are those common on the pieces produced by Seguso? Thank you again for all this information, glassware has always been my weak point.
Dannd

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic on December 26th 2014, 6:46 pm

Strawberry prunts are common to factories across the whole of Europe, so they're not very useful in pinning anything down.

They do feature, occasionally, on small Seguso scavo pieces - but there are too many other factors weighing against an attribution in that direction.
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum