Anyone able to date and loacte the origin of this large terracota bowl?

+2
big ed
eshearm
6 posters

Go down

Anyone able to date and loacte the origin of this large terracota bowl?   Empty Anyone able to date and loacte the origin of this large terracota bowl?

Post by eshearm November 10th 2014, 9:52 am

I think its British but know these are incredibly hard to allocate to a region. Hoping someone out there is able to identify the clay marks after firing to a certain clay and also which century it was made. I am thinking early 19thc due to poor clay quality?

Anyone able to date and loacte the origin of this large terracota bowl?   Img_0610

Anyone able to date and loacte the origin of this large terracota bowl?   Img_0611

Anyone able to date and loacte the origin of this large terracota bowl?   Img_0612

Anyone able to date and loacte the origin of this large terracota bowl?   Img_0613
eshearm
eshearm

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2013-10-20

Back to top Go down

Anyone able to date and loacte the origin of this large terracota bowl?   Empty Re: Anyone able to date and loacte the origin of this large terracota bowl?

Post by big ed November 10th 2014, 10:49 am

Very difficult to say , it looks a bit like some verwood stuff , maybe you can have a look into that as a start . Shrugs
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Anyone able to date and loacte the origin of this large terracota bowl?   Empty Re: Anyone able to date and loacte the origin of this large terracota bowl?

Post by NaomiM November 10th 2014, 10:55 am

Yes, difficult to say, plus they were also made in Europe. I've seen a lot at outdoor fairs, which have been shipped over from France. This may well be French.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot November 10th 2014, 11:09 am

I'd say french or more likely spanish they still make them so age can only be judged by the wear
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2634
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots November 10th 2014, 12:09 pm

Wrong colour glaze for Verwood but it looks a little more English than French/Spanish to me but I wouldn't put money on it. Loads of continental rustic pots have come into this country in recent years as Naomi said.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman November 10th 2014, 1:13 pm

in Spain the glaze colour is generally the same as this and I have seen this shape thousands of times too so Spanish would be my guess

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum