studio-pots
climberg64
dantheman
l33ham180
big ed
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What do you do with your Pottery  - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you do with your Pottery

Post by denbydump October 23rd 2014, 9:15 pm

dantheman wrote:the similarity to drugs is quite surprising.
Collecting starts with the odd piece now and again  when visiting an antiques fair or studio pottery but then you meet some dealers, get introduced to a convenient and regular supply such as Ebay and before you know it you're on 10 a week with big binges when you go to ceramics fairs and you're on first name terms with all the postmen and couriers in your area!!

It's that sense of well-being that comes over you, when you've had that pottery hit.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

What do you do with your Pottery  - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you do with your Pottery

Post by dantheman October 23rd 2014, 10:13 pm

I used to get that but it takes a very special piece to send me there these days which is why I now sell more and buy fewer

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump October 23rd 2014, 11:13 pm

Sounds like you need to increase the dose.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma54 February 14th 2015, 6:28 pm

Hi everyone, first post, great looking forum.

At the moment I am buying Susie Cooper in as good condition as possible as an investment for the future, a few extra quid for daughters nest egg, though judging by some of the prices on ebay it is getting cheaper and cheaper!

One reason I buy is to use myself. Apart from collecting for my imagined display bookcase (on the things to do list) I like to use old china for normal every day use around the huse. IE why not have a beautiful pot to stack your pens instead of a plain metal job. A crystal pot for your cotton wool etc etc. My cat eats off an old shelley tea saucer and I have a few I use as ashtrays
Embarrassed

I have a question though about crockery. I wouldnt eat off stained and crazed plates but are plates even pre 1950 in nice looking nick ok to eat off? I cant thnk why not. Same with cups.
Emma54
Emma54

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 14th 2015, 6:47 pm

Welcome to the forum. What do you do with your Pottery  - Page 2 910958

I expect they're ok, although I doubt they'd stand up to a dishwasher, and may be quite fragile when washing up in the sink. I had some low fired Bourton on the Water ones which disintegrated in the sink.
The ones to avoid are brightly coloured Chinese ones, which I think have arsenic in the green colours.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by skay February 14th 2015, 9:12 pm

zippy wrote:Big Laughter

Dear Dan your scaring me now.

Truthfully with so much time on my hands I have to go pot hunting 3 days a week.

Only second hand shops and the like.

recently, I was chatting to a friend about my 'finding pots' addiction, and said when I was a kid I used to spend my pocket money on lucky bags rather than the choc bars etc. Its about the surprise.

I don't know whether I make sense there but I always wanted a metal detector.

Maybe that can be my new hobby Jumping For Joy

Just reading through this thread again and it reminded me of this Big Laughter

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uK92NYwBMts

One needs to be very careful who one hangs about with  Laughter

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 14th 2015, 11:19 pm

Emma54 wrote:Hi everyone, first post, great looking forum.

At the moment I am buying Susie Cooper in as good condition as possible as an investment for the future, a few extra quid for daughters nest egg, though judging by some of the prices on ebay it is getting cheaper and cheaper!

One reason I buy is to use myself. Apart from collecting for my imagined display bookcase (on the things to do list) I like to use old china for normal every day use around the huse. IE why not have a beautiful pot to stack your pens instead of a plain metal job. A crystal pot for your cotton wool etc etc. My cat eats off an old shelley tea saucer and I have a few I use as ashtrays
Embarrassed

I have a question though about crockery. I wouldnt eat off stained and crazed plates but are plates even pre 1950 in nice looking nick ok to eat off? I cant thnk why not. Same with cups.

Hi Emma,

Welcome and the good news is that you are not going to die using Susie Cooper ware or any other British pots for eating off and/or drinking from.

Many commercial tablewares do craze and may even crazed very early in their life because they were cooled slightly too quickly when leaving the kiln. These are fine as long as they are clean and even stain ones could be treated with a bleach solution and then rinsed and used.

In a former life I used to teach Food Hygiene to trainee chefs so do have some idea of what I'm talking about...................... or have I forgotten it all!  Shrugs

P.S. You'll find that cats prefer studio pottery to factory wares given the choice.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump February 14th 2015, 11:36 pm

If Memory serves me right, wasn't Midwinter's Stonehenge "Nasturtium" pattern
withdrawn, because the chemicals in the glazes in the flower design leached out,
on contact with some, probably acidic, foods. I'm guessing cadmium in the yellow,
or was it something in the red?
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 16th 2015, 12:49 pm

I've checked and it was cadmium, although there was no indication that I could find that it leeched out. It appears that it was just that in the early 1980's chemicals containing cadmium were banned from pottery used for food and the pattern was discontinued.

So it was in production for 8 years and old stock wasn't taken off the market. It is still available from replacement companies so it clearly can't have been seen as a health risk of any significance. It looks as if workers at Midwinter were the people who were at potential risk.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 16th 2015, 12:55 pm

These days you need to eat liver and kidneys to get your cadmium dose.......................... and no, there is no such thing as Cadmium Diary Milk.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 16th 2015, 1:30 pm

I have a couple of Fishley Holland's Uranium-glazed pieces. I won't be bringing them to the dinner table. Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma54 February 19th 2015, 9:33 pm

LOL you lot are funny, thats good!!

Thanks for the welcome and comments all. I wont be worrying at all now, especially not since I got a fine British porcelain dinner plate, Royal Worcester and all and a divine pattern,with the scratch marks going brown,(only the one in the set) steeped in fairy liquid in the sink and a steradent now, good as new!! if only I could treat my teeth as easy.

Emma54
Emma54

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 19th 2015, 9:52 pm

Your next big test is to upload some images of your pieces in the relevant thread or, if there isn't one, then to start a new thread.

Some people find it difficult at first but please have a go because we are going to be very worried if we don't hear from you again. Sad

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman February 20th 2015, 9:29 am

could be our first pottery related death on the forum, Pip went arse over tit into a pile of pots a few years ago but she survived

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 21st 2015, 9:39 am

I believe at the time there were rumours that she had been pushed and wasn't it shortly before she disappeared forever?

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman February 21st 2015, 10:41 am

the police looked into the pushing theory but couldn't reduce the suspect list enough to make investigation a viable option Laughter

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot February 23rd 2015, 1:36 pm

it wont me guv Snooty
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2634
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman February 23rd 2015, 1:55 pm

Laughter you and I were prime suspects for a while Paul

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum