Older Brush Pot(?) with "China" impressed on the Bottom

2 posters

Go down

Older Brush Pot(?) with "China" impressed on the Bottom   Empty Older Brush Pot(?) with "China" impressed on the Bottom

Post by lorrgeno June 4th 2014, 7:22 pm

I've had this piece of pottery for a while and keep it on my window sill. I've thought of it as a vase until recently when I started becoming interested in the different forms of brush pots.
Mostly because many sellers on e   bay from certain Asian countries seem to sell everything as "rare" antiques for the ridiculously low prices of .99 cents. I find it impossible to get any decent information from that site. Everyone has an "estate find", very few seller actually describe what they sell anymore.

Just from looking then doing internet searches on them I saw they come in so many different form, made of different mediums from the simple to the very intricately made.
So, I am guessing this piece is a brush pot and possibly from the early maybe to the mid 20th century.
I did some research on when the "china"  impressed stamp was used but found little to nothing. As you can see most of it is hard to read

the crazing looks like its from age and beside the small chip on the bottom it does look quite crudely made with glaze pops, and other natural flaws
its hard to tell from the pictures but the glaze has an iridescence to it
Thanks in advance for the look. Id be interested in knowing if at least I was on the right track with it.
I was hoping that maybe Naomi could help me with this.

18cm high 7"
12 cm long 4 3/4"
8.5 cm wide 3 1/4"
weighs 929 grms 2 lbs
Older Brush Pot(?) with "China" impressed on the Bottom   Img_6111
Older Brush Pot(?) with "China" impressed on the Bottom   Img_6112
Older Brush Pot(?) with "China" impressed on the Bottom   Img_6113
Older Brush Pot(?) with "China" impressed on the Bottom   Img_6114
Older Brush Pot(?) with "China" impressed on the Bottom   Img_6115
lorrgeno
lorrgeno

Female Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Older Brush Pot(?) with "China" impressed on the Bottom   Empty Re: Older Brush Pot(?) with "China" impressed on the Bottom

Post by NaomiM June 4th 2014, 9:10 pm

Difficult to say. My feeling is 20th Century, pre-war, but it looks like someone's been using it as a vase and it's deteriorated. Is it a soft white clay under the turquoise glaze rather than porcelain?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Older Brush Pot(?) with "China" impressed on the Bottom   Empty Re: Older Brush Pot(?) with "China" impressed on the Bottom

Post by lorrgeno June 4th 2014, 10:18 pm

Hi Naomi and thanks for the look. I wouldn't say it's soft clay. I have so many pieces of pottery and porcelain from different makers all over the house that I'm trying to compare it to. The closest piece I can compare it with is a Chinese porcelain piece dating around the early 1960s. It has an un-glazed ring on the bottom. I'm looking at that and the small chipped out piece on the vase/pot, the medium looks the same.
It has been used and the deterioration is lime and mineral scale from the water in the glaze. It hasn't eaten through the glaze
lorrgeno
lorrgeno

Female Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum