Rustic bowl with very deep brown almost burnt pottery colour unglazed base

4 posters

Go down

Rustic bowl with very deep brown almost burnt pottery colour unglazed base Empty Rustic bowl with very deep brown almost burnt pottery colour unglazed base

Post by RVsaid April 24th 2014, 10:36 am

Hi

I'm sure I have seen many such pieces with this decoration and this 11 inch bowl is unmarked however, I really like it. The bowl is glazed on both sides with an unglazed base of such a dark colour that it is very distinctive.

Rustic bowl with very deep brown almost burnt pottery colour unglazed base Aunmar10
Rustic bowl with very deep brown almost burnt pottery colour unglazed base P1060111
RVsaid
RVsaid

Number of posts : 1457
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

Rustic bowl with very deep brown almost burnt pottery colour unglazed base Empty Re: Rustic bowl with very deep brown almost burnt pottery colour unglazed base

Post by cookiepops April 24th 2014, 11:15 am

looks very Coldstone Pottery or Beamish?
cookiepops
cookiepops

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down

Rustic bowl with very deep brown almost burnt pottery colour unglazed base Empty Re: Rustic bowl with very deep brown almost burnt pottery colour unglazed base

Post by RVsaid April 24th 2014, 11:29 am

Thanks, very Coldstone
RVsaid
RVsaid

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 24th 2014, 11:45 am

Possibly, but it's an unusual base for Coldstone. They were usually more rustic .

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 24th 2014, 6:48 pm

Could be Winchcombe - the foot looks right but difficult to say definitely from a photograph.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 24th 2014, 6:56 pm

There was a Winchombe bowl with the same pattern sold on ebay recently, so Coldstone wasn't the only pottery doing it.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 24th 2014, 7:01 pm

Chris Harries, who started the Coldstone Pottery, had previously worked at Winchcombe from 1948 to 1951.

It is based on English slipware decoration from the past but Winchcombe was the first studio pottery operation to decorate in this way after the Leach Pottery.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by RVsaid April 27th 2014, 10:20 am

Rustic bowl with very deep brown almost burnt pottery colour unglazed base P1060113

Thanks for all the input and does this base shot help
RVsaid
RVsaid

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 27th 2014, 10:48 am

I don't feel sufficently experienced to give a definite answer as to where the bowl was made.

However, if I had seen it for sale at a fair price for an unmarked pot I would have looked at the decoration, the speckled effect in the dark glaze, the colour of the earthenware body and the finish on the foot ring and been fairly confident that it had been made at the Winchcombe Pottery. Confident enough to have bought it and offered it to someone, who knows more about earthenware Winchcombe Pottery than I do.

What I can be more confident in saying is that it is not from Coldstone (wrong coloured earthenware body) and it looks too old to be from the Beamish pottery.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 27th 2014, 1:40 pm

I can only speak for Coldstone and agree it's not one of theirs.
I thought Beamish slipware was a lot older -19th -early 20th century - and more traditional. Items are usually yellow slip on dark brown/black slip. Either way,  not one if theirs.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by RVsaid April 27th 2014, 2:06 pm

I appreciate your thoughts chaps, I like it myself also.
RVsaid
RVsaid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum