11 " Raku Stoneware Vessel Signed S.Forbes with Unknown Impressed Mark

View previous topic View next topic Go down

11 " Raku Stoneware Vessel Signed S.Forbes with Unknown Impressed Mark

Post by mikelv85 on February 13th 2014, 9:30 pm

Hello,
I picked this interesting piece out of the showcase at Salvation Army this morning. It's 11" tall and is signed S. Forbes on the bottom with an impressed mark on the side of the base. A quick search online turned up a Raku pottery artist in North Carolina named Steven Forbes-de Soule. (stevenforbesdesoule.com). He's been a professional studio artist since 1980. His current work looks nothing like this so that's what makes me wonder if it's the same person. His current pieces are highly iridescent almost like Tiffany Favrile but in large vessel forms and some sculptures. Really beautiful ! If it is his work maybe it's just an earlier piece but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help and expertise -Mike-

mikelv85

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2014-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: 11 " Raku Stoneware Vessel Signed S.Forbes with Unknown Impressed Mark

Post by studio-pots on February 13th 2014, 10:23 pm

As you suggest in your title this vase is stoneware, which is a different type of pottery to raku. Raku is made of a type of earthenware and is fired at a much lower temperature than stoneware.

For me raku is the type of process used by would be studio potters who are more interested in style over substance. On the other hand your vase was made by someone who knows how to throw a pot and has thought about how to make it different. I just can't believe that your S. Forbes would lower his ambition to make raku...................... but I'll now have a look at the site you mention.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5257
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on February 13th 2014, 10:37 pm

You might have guessed that I don't like raku from my first post and boy I don't like Mr. Forbes deSoule's work.

He does state that he has been producing raku exclusively since 1982 so that just leaves a couple of years when he was making other pots. Therefore there is a possibility but I would think a slim one that your vase is by him. In a way it would be sad if it was because your vase has taste and style.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5257
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on February 13th 2014, 10:52 pm

I love Forbes-de Spule's work and don't agree it's the forte of 'would be' potters, not when you've got highly experienced potters like Simon Eeles taking it up, and potters like Tim Andrews and his 'humbug' vessels.

As for this pot, I doubt it's by de Soule unless it's a very early piece - maybe worth asking him, if it's not his he may have come across his name-sake.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 16268
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by mikelv85 on February 14th 2014, 10:28 am

Hi Naomi,
       Well I did ask him last night if I could send him the pictures. You couldn't attach them through the site. He answered me pretty quickly last night but I didn't see the e-mail till early this morning. His answer was "sure" so I did but I'm still waiting to see what he says. Even with contact info so many people, auction houses and museums never seem to answer back. So this was nice of him to respond so quickly. We shall see! -Mike-
mikelv85

Back to top Go down

Post by mikelv85 on February 14th 2014, 4:25 pm

OK.. so I got the e-mail from Steve this morning. He said he didn't think that it was his. I kind of thought that was odd. How would you not know your own work one way or another. He also asked me where I found it. I told him but have not heard back yet to see if he had any thing else to say. -Mike-
mikelv85

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum