American Pottery - Possibly Waco / Bybee Pottery

Go down

American Pottery - Possibly Waco / Bybee Pottery

Post by RobS on December 10th 2013, 10:21 pm

Hello, Trying determine the exact manufacturer of this Vase. Looks somewhat like the Bauer Rebekah shape but the neck is more narrow, seen similar images identified as Cole Bybee, but understand that Zanesville produced a similar piece. Measures 15" tall, the neck is 3.75" in diameter. Any thoughts! Thank you in advance.

RobS

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-11-06

Back to top Go down

Re: American Pottery - Possibly Waco / Bybee Pottery

Post by Calusa on December 21st 2013, 2:31 am

Definitely not Bauer; I've seen this form before and it is very similar to Bauer but the clay and glaze are both the wrong color. If the color of the clay is accurate in your photo, I have seen pieces with similar clay color and glaze identified as "Waco". Some I've seen are marked with an ink stamp, but most were not marked. I don't know anything about "Waco Pottery", but I assume it may have been in Texas rather than California. The color of the clay is probably wrong for Zanesville, as Ohio clays of the period seem to be a lighter, "creamier" yellowish color. Several companies made a similar shape, including Panama Pottery in Sacramento California, but the clay is still wrong for that, so, at this point, my money is on Waco.
Calusa

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by RobS on December 21st 2013, 6:36 am

Thank you for the lead.  Further research online found an article describing Waco Pottery as having been produced in Waco, Kentucky between 1922 and 1943 by potter Eb Stone a member of the Cornelison family, owners of Bybee pottery.  As a result Waco/ Bybee is likely. Thanks again
RobS

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum