Ruby Red Vase, Whitefriars?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ruby Red Vase, Whitefriars?

Post by Redware on December 5th 2013, 1:04 pm

I have recently found this ruby red vase with controlled air inclusions. Thought it may be Whitefriars. I have found similar vase in their catalogue from 1949 : http://www.whitefriars.com/catalogues/contents.php?id=10381 , it looks like Whitefriars introduced similar colour at that stage as well. 9'' in diameter and 4'' tall.

Redware

Male Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2012-11-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Ruby Red Vase, Whitefriars?

Post by Jeffingtons on December 7th 2013, 1:40 am

Whitefriars.com is probably the place to confirm your assessment.
Jeffingtons

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by JoFish on December 7th 2013, 12:56 pm

True, they know there stuff on Whitefriars.com especially with the more obscure pieces. However, checking your link to the catalogue I think you are spot on.

John
JoFish

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Redware on December 7th 2013, 2:08 pm

The dimensions seems to be right as well (24cm in diameter) but I'll post it to Whitefriars.com as there seem to be quite a few copies of Whitefriars around.
Redware

Male Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2012-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by JoFish on December 7th 2013, 6:59 pm

There are three designs which have been copied, the drunken bricklayer (small not large), onion vase and hooped vase. These are actual copies - possibly made with the intention to deceive, though some of the colours are just not like those of Whitefriars. All three are vases from the textured ranges of the 60s and 70s.

Many glassworks have made items similar to each other, no surprise as they all sell in the same marketplace and try to produce wares that people will actually buy. Geoffrey Baxters textured designs could be said to have been inspired by Scandinavian production of the period but they are not what I would call copies. No designer works in a vacuum. Frank Thrower at Dartington reworked many traditional English shapes and gave them a modern twist as well as taking inspiration from successful Scandinavian factories.

The problem with the Whitefriars name is just that every man and his dog labels any old bit of glass with it. The advantage that the Whitefriars collector has is that the factories production is very well documented.

JoFish

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum