Need Help Identifying Murano ? Glass Centerpiece

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need Help Identifying Murano ? Glass Centerpiece

Post by mjron on November 25th 2013, 11:56 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have this large blown glass centerpiece that I assume is Murano.  It measures 18" by 15" and is upturned at one side. First, is it absolutely Murano?  and does anyone have a clue as to maker?  It is unsigned, but has wear to the rim of the base consistent with a piece of some age.

Ron

mjron

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Help Identifying Murano ? Glass Centerpiece

Post by Nic on November 26th 2013, 1:02 am

It looks to be made using the incalmo technique, where two separate glass hemispheres of identical diameter are joined together whilst semi-molten - this would be consistent with glass made on Murano, and not a terribly common production method outside of it.

I can't help very much with pinning down the maker, although the blue-green colour is quite similar to one used frequently by Alfredo Barbini in the 1960s-80s and he wasn't averse to a bit of incalmo design. Could be a possible route to explore?
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2532
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mjron on November 26th 2013, 1:30 am

Thanks Nic,

I'll see if more research on Barbini designs helps. I must admit that without a signature, it becomes difficult as often different Murano designers used common techniques. I think that there was quite a bit cross pollination on Murano.

Ron
mjron

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic on November 26th 2013, 10:48 am

There was a lot of outright plundering of designs, too - even amongst the well-known and apparently reputable firms.

I've had, in the past, a signed Cenedese incalmo vase that was identical to a slightly earlier Venini design but for a tweak of the order in which colours were used (the originals were clear-bodied with an amethyst rim, the Cenedese copies were vice-versa).

Add to that the fact that the big Murano factories' ownerships have been passed around the island like hot potatoes, constantly merging and dividing amongst themselves, with the back-catalogues often being reproduced and rebranded by the new owner.

So it often can become best-guess without markings or knowledge of a source.
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2532
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mjron on November 26th 2013, 2:07 pm

Thanks again for your expertise, Nic. It's always nice discussing items with someone who possesses some depth of knowledge regarding the subject at hand.

Best regards,

Ron
mjron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: