Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly)

+11
Potty
22 Crawford St.
Ian1978
AJS
philpot
Howard Lincoln
Mudslinger
climberg64
studio-pots
NaomiM
lindylou08
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 Empty Re: Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly)

Post by Ian1978 February 28th 2018, 9:23 pm

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 Bath_p10

Last edited by NaomiM on July 27th 2023, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cropping photo - Admin)
Ian1978
Ian1978

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2018-02-11

Back to top Go down

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 Empty Re: Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly)

Post by Ian1978 February 28th 2018, 9:27 pm

I can't get a decent photo but it's definitely RF and the only letter you can make out in the word above Pottery is a B. The word is much shorter than pottery so could be Bath.
Ian1978
Ian1978

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2018-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty February 28th 2018, 10:13 pm

studio-pots wrote:These types of dishes were made by hundreds of potters in the 1950s and with no BATH POTTERY mark, no VELLOW mark and no Richard Freeman personal mark it is not possible to say that it was definitely by him or was made at either of these potteries. It maybe by him but unless he is asked (I know he was still alive a few years ago) then I can't see how anyone can say that it is definitely by him or where it was made.

To be fair SP I think with this particular piece I believe a mark was not needed. The way the slab was cut (with a wire and wire marks left on display), clay, glaze, decoration and form are all a match and I've never seen pots like these that check all those boxes, but I could be wrong.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 28th 2018, 10:34 pm

I’ve edited Ian’s photo and there’s definitely an RF mark and ‘Pottery’. I can see a partial word above with a B so could well be ‘Bath’

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 2d169f10

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31471
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 28th 2018, 11:21 pm

Without a mark I don't think it is correct to use the word definite unless you have some other actual provenance.

Now that I have seen the image of the mark under the glaze, which hadn't been spotted/mentioned, that is a different matter, as it is the BATH POTTERY impressed mark and the personal mark of Richard Freeman and so the word definite can be used.

Here is it without any glaze.

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 P1000310

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty February 28th 2018, 11:44 pm

studio-pots wrote:Without a mark I don't think it is correct to use the word definite unless you have some other actual provenance.

Fair enough point and I would also not "officially" say this was his with without some form of caveat, I.e. "Looks like", but I was 99.9% convinced it was his Big Laughter

If I was selling this I would have no issue saying "Richard Freeman" for the title, but I would mention in the description that it is unmarked (as we thought it was), but that I was almost certain it was his.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 11th 2018, 10:09 pm

Pair of jugs stamped Bath. I believe this is Steve Mills’ mark

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 D7e1c810

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 4942d410 Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 A493a710 Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 Fc03c110

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by olipayton June 6th 2018, 8:48 am

Hi a very nice raw piece from Bath pottery. Its has a very nice feel in the hands - a very nice quality item
Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 Sam_7615Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 Sam_7616
olipayton
olipayton

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluesky123 June 9th 2021, 4:44 pm

Hi,

I am new here. I have this 2 pieces of pottery. Is this Richard Freeman work?

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 Image12
Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 Image11
Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 Image10
Bluesky123
Bluesky123

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2021-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 9th 2021, 5:11 pm

Yes Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluesky123 June 9th 2021, 5:54 pm

Thanks for your answer.
Can you guess when they were made and there worth ?
Bluesky123
Bluesky123

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman June 9th 2021, 6:00 pm

we don't do valuations but ebay completed listings and auction results might give you a ballpark value

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluesky123 June 9th 2021, 6:26 pm

Thanks for your answers.
Bluesky123
Bluesky123

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 July 27th 2023, 1:26 pm

NaomiM wrote:Ian said he found an RF mark
If it’s the one you exposed by some witchcraft (not saying you are a witch!!!) but definitely far too technical for mere mortals like me!
The r was on the left of the F bit like Ray Finch I think but not the slanted r!
This one is the same as one you posted on Pinterest …..with the other 55,999 😂😂
It occurred to me that Freeman apparently didn’t start potting at Bath until 56 (acc to Bible) when JS sold Bath to him.
No matter just wondered 😇
Neil62
Neil62

Male Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2022-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 27th 2023, 1:43 pm

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 July 27th 2023, 6:00 pm

Definitely not this RF mark Naomi
Neil62
Neil62

Male Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2022-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 27th 2023, 6:14 pm

Same as these ones by Richard Freeman at Vellow and then at Bath Potteries

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 Slipwa15
Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) - Page 2 Oval_v10

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum