Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly)

+11
Potty
22 Crawford St.
Ian1978
AJS
philpot
Howard Lincoln
Mudslinger
climberg64
studio-pots
NaomiM
lindylou08
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Empty Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly)

Post by lindylou08 October 26th 2013, 5:37 pm

I have a large stoneware bowl  - dimension 11cm H and approx. 22cm W although it is ovoid in shape when viewed from above rather than round. The smaller bowls  - dimensions 7cm H and approx  12cm W2, are also ovoid in shape.

The larger bowl is unmarked
Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Dscn4915  Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Dscn4918  Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Dscn4919

The smaller ones have BATH POTTERY and a monogram that appears to be JMH

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Dscn4920  Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Dscn4921  Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Dscn4922

apologies for reflections - the sun came out !!          Any help would be appreciated, thanks
lindylou08
lindylou08

Female Number of posts : 649
Registration date : 2012-11-09

Back to top Go down

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Empty Re: Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly)

Post by NaomiM October 26th 2013, 6:33 pm

Can you read the monogram? Looks like MH or HW to me.

I've come across a few bits of slipware marked Bath Pottery, but no name.
I've come across other pieces of pottery made in & near Bath, eg, by Steve Mills, Matt Waite and Richard Freeman, but they don't match the monogram.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Empty Re: Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly)

Post by lindylou08 October 26th 2013, 7:03 pm

It appears to be JMH with the upright of the J forming the left leg of the M and the right leg of the M forming the left side of the H .
However if it is Mark Hewitt as you suggest maybe what looks like the lower curve of a J is in fact a 'serif' on the M !!!!  Rolling Eyes
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots October 27th 2013, 3:42 pm

The Bath Pottery was started by John Shelly in 1951 and he sold it to Richard Freeman in 1956 and he seems to have been there until 1962.

Edited: See separate thread for John Shelly's work (Admin)
https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t25877-js-mark-john-shelly

As far as I am aware John Shelly's work was all in red earthenware so this is likely to have been made when Richard Freeman owned the pottery or afterwards, if it remained as a pottery after 1962. Something that I am not aware of.

Richard Freeman is still around I believe but for a number of years he has produced sculpture in other media and is a Royal West of England Academician. I couldn't find a web site or email address for you to contact him though.

One thing for sure is that the potter's mark is not that of Mark Hewitt.

This is a long shot and I have nothing to suggest this other than Richard Freeman's wife's name is Janet. Could she have worked with him at the Bath Pottery before they married and the JMH is her mark with her middle name beginning with M and her maiden name beginning with H?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 October 27th 2013, 5:14 pm

Thanks for all the thoughts!
I'd only managed to find the names of John Shelly and Richard Freeman associated with the pottery so maybe your reasoning could be the right one SP.
Maybe this is one of those ' we'll never know'
Thanks again
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 October 27th 2013, 5:33 pm

SP wrote, "This is a long shot and I have nothing to suggest this other than Richard Freeman's wife's name is Janet. Could she have worked with him at the Bath Pottery before they married and the JMH is her mark with her middle name beginning with M and her maiden name beginning with H?"

Sounds very likely to me

climberg64
climberg64

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Mudslinger December 28th 2013, 8:35 pm

After Richard returned from Vellow to Bath, he seems to have chosen to keep a low profile concentrating on sculptural work and Teaching, so the name Bath Pottery lapsed until I re-established it in 1967.
In '78 it basically morphed into Bath Potters' Supplies, but I continued making, 'tho like Richard I assumed a lower profile and reduced output.
Since 2005 when we retired from BPS, I am back to only making pots as Bath Pottery, albeit in a lower volume, and concentrating on Wood Ash and recycled materials for my glazes.
Mudslinger
Mudslinger

Male Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-12-28

http://www.mudslinger.me.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mudslinger December 28th 2013, 9:14 pm

I'm Steve Mills, Potter in the City of Bath, still making and high firing in Gas and Wood Kilns, though the latter is becoming hard work as Anno Domini catch up with me!
Mudslinger
Mudslinger

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 30th 2014, 1:08 am

A pair of goblets stamped BATH - According to Yates Owen it's Richard Freeman's (correction, by Steve Mills) Bath Pottery stamp, used 1966-72

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Dscn8418

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Dscn8419

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Dscn8420

Last edited by NaomiM on March 11th 2018, 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mudslinger July 30th 2014, 9:27 am

NaomiM wrote:A pair of goblets stamped BATH - According to Yates Owen it's Richard Freeman's Bath Pottery stamp, used 1966-72

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Dscn8418

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Dscn8420

Hi Naomi, actually those are my making and my stamp. Roughly 1968 to 1975. They are/were thrown using a Profile for the foot, and a knife cut stem. The bowl was subsequently changed to more of an open shape (1976-ish) rather than a tulip as it is easier to drink from. - Steve Mills
Mudslinger
Mudslinger

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 11th 2015, 2:34 pm

Mudslinger wrote:Hi Naomi, actually those are my making and my stamp. Roughly 1968 to 1975. They are/were thrown using a Profile for the foot, and a knife cut stem. The bowl was subsequently changed to more of an open shape (1976-ish) rather than a tulip as it is easier to drink from.

I should have thanked Steve Mills, aka mudslinger, for this info. Sadly he recently passed away.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Empty Can anyone ID the period and maker?

Post by Howard Lincoln July 8th 2017, 12:56 am

I picked this piece of Bath Pottery up as part of an auction lot . Can anyone shed any light on when it was made and who made it? The closest things I have seen are Vellow bowls by Richard Freeman.

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Bath_p10
Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Bath_p11
Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Bath_p12
Howard Lincoln
Howard Lincoln

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot July 8th 2017, 6:33 am

Richard Freeman worked at Bath pottery 1956-62 and used stoneware, He them moved to Vellow where he worked 1962-66.
Not a lot of value there tho.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by AJS September 17th 2017, 10:48 am

JMH was the stamp used by a lady called Jean Halstead. My mother was good friends with her from the mid 1950s, around 1956-58.

My parents have many items of Bath Pottery - both the gold patterned and blue patterned - which seemed to be a big part of their output.

Many of these items have now come to me. Including many private family commissions and gifts with our family and christian names included in the decoration.

Jean was also a skilled painter and my parents gave a beautiful poppy head abstract by her.

I would think that between me and my parents we probably have the largest collection of surviving Bath Pottery items anywhere. Unless of course there are collectors out there actively buying it up.

If anyone knows Bath, the pottery was situated behind Jollys in an old shed. That part of Bath is now totally developed of course and no physical evidence of its exitence remains.

It's a shame that Bath Pottery items don't have a wider following. I grew up with them around the house and think they're beautiful.

Cheers
Andy

AJS
AJS

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 17th 2017, 12:24 pm

Many thanks for identifying the mark. Wonderful to hear personal stories of the pottery Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Empty Richard Freeman - Bath Pottery 1956-62

Post by Ian1978 February 21st 2018, 7:48 am

Hi. Does anyone know the maker of this one please? Thanks Ian
Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Image17
Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Image16

Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Image16
Bath Pottery - Steve Mills & Richard Freeman (see also John Shelly) Image15

Last edited by NaomiM on April 9th 2021, 6:45 pm; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : Marks found underglaze.)
Ian1978
Ian1978

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2018-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. February 26th 2018, 10:01 pm

Ahh ok not what I was expecting, Yes could be any number of potteries
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty February 27th 2018, 1:40 am

Looks like Richard Freeman to me.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 27th 2018, 2:04 am

Interesting. I was expecting a white glazed base and white earthenware clay.
I’ve merged the two posts; best to keep all the info on one thread

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian1978 February 28th 2018, 6:04 pm

Thanks again for the help. Having looked up Richard Freeman (a new one on me) it's definitely him.
Ian1978
Ian1978

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 28th 2018, 7:55 pm

Why? I admit it could be by him but without any mark it is impossible to be certain. That is, unless you contacted him, and he confirms that it is something he made back in the 1950s.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian1978 February 28th 2018, 8:00 pm

Why is it definitely him? Because I found a smaller version in exactly the same design when doing an image search.
Also, since then, and since my last post, I can just make out RF in the white part of the base.
Ian1978
Ian1978

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 28th 2018, 8:34 pm

Just checked google images and I think the one you found was by Vellow Pottery, by Richard Freeman before he sold the pottery to David Winkley

https://pin.it/mp7qnfirf4pq7m

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 28th 2018, 8:53 pm

These types of dishes were made by hundreds of potters in the 1950s and with no BATH POTTERY mark, no VELLOW mark and no Richard Freeman personal mark it is not possible to say that it was definitely by him or was made at either of these potteries. It maybe by him but unless he is asked (I know he was still alive a few years ago) then I can't see how anyone can say that it is definitely by him or where it was made.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 28th 2018, 9:10 pm

Ian said he found an RF mark

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum