Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller)

4 posters

Go down

Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) Empty Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller)

Post by NaomiM July 15th 2013, 7:32 pm

Came across this pot which bears the label for Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh. In Dunbartonshire, Scotland.

It has an A in a square stamp on the foot rim, which is very similar to the stamp for Aller Pottery. But the clay for this Ardencaple pot is a reddish brown rather than the grogg-filled grey typical of Aller pottery.

Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) Img_1121

Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) Img_1119

Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) Img_1120

Last edited by NaomiM on February 14th 2024, 7:22 pm; edited 5 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) Empty Re: Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller)

Post by Johners2000 April 24th 2017, 9:34 am

Just spotted this one on ebay - which may shed some light.

Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) S-l16066
Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) S-l16067
Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) S-l16068
Johners2000
Johners2000

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2017-01-04

Back to top Go down

Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) Empty This was my parent’s pottery.

Post by Andrew Hodgson September 14th 2020, 10:07 pm

My parents ran Ardencaple Pottey from about 1970 to 1979. It was originally Broomhill Pottery on the Isle of Arran until about 1974 when they relocated to the mainland in Helensburgh. In around 1978 it relocated again to Crianlarich, folding shortly afterwards. Those dates are based on me remembering my age at various times events happened, so could be out by 12 months or so.
In the Helensburgh days it was based in the outbuildings of Ardencaple farmhouse and at one point shared a craft shop called ‘Harmonium’ in the town centre with a number of other craft makers. I recall a leatherworker, but my memory is hazy on anything else. They also had trade orders with a variety of other craft shops around Scotland. I believe the red earthenware body is earlier, and they switched to a grey stoneware one later. If I recall rightly it was something of an epic undertaking to clean everything properly to do the switch!
Almost all of the pottery was thrown by my mother, with my dad doing handles, glazing and firing. All of the glazes were his own recipes.
I’ve attached a few photos of a stoneware jug I have from the time.

Andrew Hodgson
Andrew Hodgson

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2020-09-14

Back to top Go down

Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) Empty Re: Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller)

Post by Andrew Hodgson September 14th 2020, 10:08 pm

Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) 822e0a10

Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) F737d910

Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) E1072e10
Andrew Hodgson
Andrew Hodgson

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 15th 2020, 12:37 am

Fantastic info. Many thanks for sharing Most Excellent

I wonder how many of the stoneware pieces have been misattributed to Aller Pottery, which has a similar A stamp

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Hodgson September 16th 2020, 8:40 pm

That may be, true.
Here’s a shot of my mum throwing. The pots in front of the wheel are lamp bases which were quite popular. My dad wired them up by hand. In the background you can see more examples of my mums throwing style. My dad threw straighter sided pots. I can’t find a photo of his right now, but will post one when I come across it. The bonnie wee lad holding the clay is me!
Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) 1e193410
Andrew Hodgson
Andrew Hodgson

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 16th 2020, 11:53 pm

Great photo Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Hodgson September 27th 2020, 6:23 pm

This is a photo of a red earthenware piece thrown by my Dad. As you can see it’s straighter sided. This may help in identifying Ardencaple vs Aller.

Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) Baaf2e10
Andrew Hodgson
Andrew Hodgson

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Hodgson September 27th 2020, 6:26 pm

To clarify, my Dad also threw stoneware pieces.
Andrew Hodgson
Andrew Hodgson

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump September 27th 2020, 7:10 pm

Thank you for sharing this invaluable information.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7217
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 27th 2020, 7:17 pm

Excellent Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 20th 2023, 7:00 pm

Came across a vase stamped A. Hodgson, Arran, Kitty Hall. Just adding in the hopes that someone knows who (or what) Kitty Hall was

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Hodgson October 21st 2023, 8:57 am

I’d love to see a picture of the vase.
Alastair Hodgson is my dad, and Kitty (Katharine) Hall is my mum. Hall is her maiden name so the vase must date from the very early days of the pottery.
Andrew Hodgson
Andrew Hodgson

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 21st 2023, 2:08 pm

Great info, thank you. Most Excellent I've messaged you the details

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Hodgson October 26th 2023, 11:56 am

My dad was delighted to see the vase again after all these years and bought it from the auction site.
Andrew Hodgson
Andrew Hodgson

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Hodgson October 26th 2023, 11:58 am

Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) Img_4310
Andrew Hodgson
Andrew Hodgson

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Hodgson October 26th 2023, 12:05 pm

These are the marks on the base.

Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) Img_4312
Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) Img_4311
Alastair Hodgson, Ardencaple Pottery, Helensburgh, Scotland (not Aller) Img_4313
Andrew Hodgson
Andrew Hodgson

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 26th 2023, 1:30 pm

Andrew Hodgson wrote:My dad was delighted to see the vase again after all these years and bought it from the auction site.

That's wonderful Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum