Jeffingtons
NaomiM
RVsaid
Potty
mal
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Empty Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries

Post by mal Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:10 am

can you id please?

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries <a href=Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries 20110856" />
Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries <a href=Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries 20110857" />
mal
mal

Female Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2011-01-25

Back to top Go down

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Empty Re: Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries

Post by Potty Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:16 am

Dieter Kunzemann?

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Empty Re: Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries

Post by mal Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:44 am

Also discovered he died on February 26th 2010.
mal
mal

Female Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2011-01-25

Back to top Go down

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Empty Ceramic Goblet with a DK mark on foot - early Dieter Kunzmann

Post by RVsaid Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:12 am

Hello

A nice tactile generous goblet with a flourished DK mark on base rim, any ideas?

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries P1020426

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries P1020427
RVsaid
RVsaid

Number of posts : 1457
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:43 am

I can't help but think it looks a lot like the Dieter Kunzemann mark, but I've not seen anything like this by him (Or much of his work for that matter).

Maybe someone will be able to confirm him or rule it out please?

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by RVsaid Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:00 am

I have the British Studio potter's marks book and it is a little too flourished for him. The pieces I have had before (Wheatstalks Coldstone) are impressed into the clay with very small letters almost like typing key letters were used. I picked this up yesterday and hoped that it was Dieter but also found it a cold lead.
RVsaid
RVsaid

Back to top Go down

Post by RVsaid Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:11 pm

Early Dieter Kunzmann

https://pin.it/75xHW7c
RVsaid
RVsaid

Back to top Go down

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Empty Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries

Post by NaomiM Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Coffee set (missing saucers). Slipware decoration in the typical wheat-ear / wheatsheaf pattern.

Made by Dieter Kunzemann at the Evenlode Pottery or Coldstone Pottery 1950-70s - The fact it's stamped DK rather than having the Coldstone stamp may mean it's from the Evenlode Pottery.

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Dscn9431

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Dscn9432

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Dscn9433

Jug was bought separately so I'll post the mark too

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Dscn9434

Dieter Kunzemann was born near Leipzig, East Germany in 1928. He trained and worked with his father-in-law, country potter Chris Harries, at Coldstone Pottery from 1953-1967. In 1967 he started Evenlode Pottery in Gloucestershire. He is known for producing domestic and decorative slipware, mostly with wheatear decoration and using green, yellow and black glazes. [Died in 2011].

From John Harlow's blog http://www.john-harlow.co.uk/history.htm :

1967-1968 The Coldstone Pottery, Ascott-under-Wychwood near Woodstock, is where I really learned to make pots in production sequences. The clay was 2 parts St Thomas's and one part local yellow clay which gave the fired pieces a mellow pink body colour rather than the stark terracotta of Stoke red clays. It was all slipware so there was a high attrition rate through collapse of greenware. Coldstone was characterised by crossed-wheatear decoration and what Chris Harries used to call "matchstick" as on this bowl [see blog]. Both difficult to do well. The glazes were lead-bisilicate transparent and Chris kept his recipes in a safe!! Coldstone was an idyllic place and something to which I aspired. It was watching the thrower, Dieter Kunzemann, who preceded my time there which turned me on to wanting to be a potter.

Last edited by NaomiM on Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Empty Wheat Ear slip vase marked PG - Coldstone; Pat Grooms?

Post by Jeffingtons Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi all. Hoping the combined knowledge here can help me ID a few makers of some pots I've acquired.

First up is this terracotta vase glazed in chocolate brown slip decorated with a cream wheat ear design.  
Based is impressed with pg and also has an unusual pattern or monogram that appears to written in black oxide.

Base
Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries 20130811

Side view
Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Wheat_14

Any help will be much appreciated
Thanks
Jeffingtons

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Several potteries used the wheatsheaf slipware pattern. The most commonly found pieces were by Dieter Kunzemann and associates at the Evenlode Pottery and Coldstone Pottery, but it's not their mark.

Another was James Brooke of Appleton Pottery, but, again, it doesn't seem to be his mark.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Philip Gardiner, Mevagissey, has done traditional slipware in the past. His backstamp is now PG rather than pg but it might be an early piece.

Edited to say: probably Pat Grooms, Coldstone Pottery 

Jeffingtons wrote:
Base
Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries 20130811

Side view
Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Wheat_14

Edited: Another piece has turned up with this mark, and appears to be Coldstone Pottery so merging with that thread, although it's possible it's by James Brooke or similar

Last edited by NaomiM on Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:21 pm; edited 4 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Empty Coldstone Pottery - Chris Harries

Post by potterymad62 Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Very nice Chris Harries oval dish from the Coldstone Pottery. 1954 to 1968

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Dsc01211

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Dsc01212

Last edited by studio-pots on Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : tidying up)
potterymad62
potterymad62

Male Number of posts : 795
Registration date : 2009-07-22

Back to top Go down

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Empty Dieter Kunzemann, Coldstone Pottery

Post by lindylou08 Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:12 pm

Hi
This dish has an impressed mark , but I think it's incomplete.
Any ideas would be welcome . I've been through the book but unable to find anything similar.

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Dscn9412

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Dscn9413

Thanks

Last edited by studio-pots on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
lindylou08
lindylou08

Female Number of posts : 649
Registration date : 2012-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:32 pm

Dieter Kunzman, Coldstone Pottery

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Thanks for that Davee
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:51 pm

I have just seen a couple of items that at first glance appear to be by DK , this time with a wheatear decoration. However the mark isn't the same so my questions are did he ever have a different mark or are there any known potters who use the wheatear deco??
Ta muchly
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:15 pm

The wheatear is a traditional style of decoration that has been used for centuries.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sun May 17, 2015 2:10 am

Slipware fish platter by Coldstone Pottery

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Coldst11

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Coldst10

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sun May 17, 2015 2:57 am

Regretting not buying it now; nice colour.

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Coldst12

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Coldst13

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Marlow Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:40 pm

This is a large dish with the typical wheat decoration and the body is typical Coldstone. I have seen this mark being sold as Coldstone but I've not been able to identify it. Any thoughts anyone?  There are no other impressed marks on the dish.
Ian

Possibly pg mark for Pat Groom, who is also thought to have potted at Coldstone Kiln - Admin

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Coldst10

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Coldst11
ian Marlow
ian Marlow

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:28 pm

It is one of their shapes and patterns, but I don't know why it's stamped pg.

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Image57

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Marlow Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:42 pm

That's a great match, so it's definitely Coldstone, so it's reasonable to assume then that the dish was made by one of the other potters (as yet unidentified) who worked there over the years.
And of course, as with all these potteries, the person who made the pot wasn't necessarily the person who decorated it.
ian Marlow
ian Marlow

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:22 am

Marbled clay egg cup with wheat ear slip decoration.
Not his usual style of DK mark but pretty sure it's an early Dieter Kunzemann

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Image19

Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Image20 Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Image21 Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Image22

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shikari Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Definitely Evenlode: I attach a photo of my childhood eggcup bought at Evenlode in the mid-seventies.Dieter Kunzemann & Chris Harries - Evenlode and Coldstone Potteries Image12

Last edited by Shikari on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Shikari
Shikari

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:33 pm

Most Excellent A matching pair

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum