It looks quite impossible to be Sawa, but the shape says it is

3 posters

Go down

It looks quite impossible to be Sawa, but the shape says it is Empty It looks quite impossible to be Sawa, but the shape says it is

Post by Zijperspace November 25th 2012, 11:26 pm

The reason I say this is because I didn't see any non-sgraffito vases coming from Sawa until now.
I was searching with google for the marking 239-12 and I found this in first instance:

http://fatlava.be/sawa.html

I refined my searches, I just couldn't believe this vase might be coming from Sawa, but the proof became more clear with this:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=sawa+239-12+keramik&hl=nl&client=firefox-a&hs=7T7&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vqeyUOjnF8Ob0QXGsYHIDQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1422&bih=751

So... Could anybody confirm this vase here is a true Sawa product? I still doubt it, also because it's made with white clay, totally in contrary of what Sawa was using normally.

It looks quite impossible to be Sawa, but the shape says it is 20121148 It looks quite impossible to be Sawa, but the shape says it is 20121149 It looks quite impossible to be Sawa, but the shape says it is 20121150

Oh, I nearly forgot: there's also a signature at the bottom, that says 'EV'.
That 'V' seems to reappear all the time at Sawa-vases...
Zijperspace
Zijperspace

Male Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2012-10-09

Back to top Go down

It looks quite impossible to be Sawa, but the shape says it is Empty Re: It looks quite impossible to be Sawa, but the shape says it is

Post by vhb64 November 27th 2012, 2:33 pm

I learn something new every day.

1. It´s earthenware with white clay i think, looks like salt glazed stoneware,
Marzi & Remy produced this "imitation" (M&R) successfully, Kera Bleu
Series mid 1960s onwards, Scheurich did it too and obviously Sawa and
poss. other companies. .

2. 200 range
J.L.Knödgen / Ilkra white & red clay, same shapes, different markings
F.Schwaderlapp FSR / Sawa red & sometimes white clay
Spang / Spara white clay.
What comes next ? Spara with red clay ?

btw these companies were located at Ransbach.
only Spang still exists.

btw 3 companies, the same location, the same range of form numbers,
sometimes mixed up with Schlossberg, it´s a bit confusing,
the dutch website on Sawa shows at least 1 Spara vase.

vhb64
vhb64

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

It looks quite impossible to be Sawa, but the shape says it is Empty Re: It looks quite impossible to be Sawa, but the shape says it is

Post by Zijperspace November 27th 2012, 10:09 pm

That wrong Sawa-, but right Spara-vase must be nr 5 of the series, I guess...

Each time I read your comments, Volker, I learn a lot. Thank you so much. Although your remarks @2. (200 range) I don't fully get.
Am I right when I try to explain it to myself like this:
- Knödgen started Ilkra
- Schwaderlapp owned Sawa
- Spang was responsible for Spara (Spang @ Ransbach)

Did you notice some white clay Sawa pottery before? I totally forgot to mention that: this was the first thing that amazed me when I noticed it had the same marks as the other Sawa vase (which might not be a Sawa vase, if I understand you correctly).

Lots of questions, I'm sorry. But for me this is all new, meanwhile extremely fascinating. Thank for feeding this. :-)
Zijperspace
Zijperspace

Back to top Go down

Post by vhb64 November 27th 2012, 10:58 pm

correct, no.5 is a Spara vase, form number 206.

"Knödgen started Ilkra" ? Ilkra stands for J.L.Knödgen at Ransbach, the akronym was created in the 1930s.

"Schwaderlapp owned Sawa" ? Stickers FSR / SAWA stand for Franz Schwaderlapp at Ransbach, there were other Schwaderlapps, (Jasba = Jakop Schwaderlapp at Ransbach-Baumbach), Kurt Schwaderlapp, Willi Schwaderlapp etc.

"Spang was responsible for Spara" ? Spara is an akronym for Spang at Ransbach

"Did you notice some white clay Sawa pottery before"? I didn´t, i´m learning ...
Thank you.
vhb64
vhb64

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Zijperspace December 6th 2012, 9:18 am

I found another 239-12:

It looks quite impossible to be Sawa, but the shape says it is 20121221 It looks quite impossible to be Sawa, but the shape says it is 20121222 It looks quite impossible to be Sawa, but the shape says it is 20121223

Once again white clay. Signature looks like an 'R' going through the other marks. No sgraffito.

At the same time I found these:

Lovely-set-by-Sawa-in-perfect-condition-brown-with-a-decor-mid-century-ceramics
That's a genuine Sawa collection with also an 239-12 among it.

Last edited by skay on December 6th 2012, 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t7414-commercial-external-links)
Zijperspace
Zijperspace

Back to top Go down

Post by pottlr May 29th 2015, 7:02 pm

its definetely a sawa form, i have one myself, but there may be the possibility that a later firm used their mould, but my guess would be they did these themselfes, but a lesser known series of them
the roman numbers of sawa, I also wonder alot of them, I often found VIII for example on the early forms, so I guess its the number of the artist that edged and painted
pottlr
pottlr

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum